Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Car Jumped Out Of Gear On Launch

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Jumped Out Of Gear On Launch

Well after trying to get the car in the 13's this weekend....yeah I know what you're thinking.....I can't launch very well yet. I went for my 3rd pass on Saturday after running increasingly faster ET's of 14.2 followed by a 14.1 with a 2.2 60' and was lined up to launch. I went to launch at 1500 rpm and the car lurched forward and stopped. My first thought was I had busted the rear(still on the stock 10 bolt), but I looked down to find that wasn't the case but that the tranny had actually jumped out of 1st, into neutral. It really made me feel better knowing that nothing was messed up. Just wanting to know if this has ever happened to anyone else. I know the first assumption, would be that I didn't have it in gear good. The thing is I don't think that was the problem as I was able to do a quick burnout to dust the tires off and staged with no problem. Just trying to get an idea of what might have caused this.

FWIW, I have since decided that no more track runs will be made until I can afford a 12 bolt as it was just to scary of a thought that I'd broke my rearend.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

was your hand on the shifter or did you take it off when you launched? maybe you bumped it out of gear a little and then it popped out.

sometimes mine sticks halfway into gear, i guess the with syncros or something and then when I release the cutch itll pop out.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

has it ever happened before? how often do you go to the track? if you go often and this is the first time it happened it probably wasn't in gear all the way.

btw, nice avatar
Old 04-26-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's maybe the 7th or 8th pass I ever made in the car. I don't go to the track all that often. I do rest my hand around the shift **** to be ready to shift outta 1st into 2nd when I get to my shift points. I definately have made my mind up that a Strange 12 bolt is going in before I make another pass.

Quick Reply: Car Jumped Out Of Gear On Launch