Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission Problem

My transmission is completely stock. If I Floor it all the way between 65 and 70mph it doesnt shift properly. It feels like a double shift. I feel It once, then right again. Its kind of hard to explain. However, I have taken it to the dealership 4 times already. The first couple of times the service manager insisted it was the computer and that it needed updates. I told him I dont think so. But he insisted, flash the computer back to stock, and still got the same results. This last time, they came to the conclusion that it was the valve body in the transmission. They replaced that, I picked the car this morning and its still doing the exact same thing. Since the dealership has no clue, do you guys have any ideas? Thanks
Old 04-27-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have any mods done to your MAF sensor? Do you still have the factory torque converter? Did this just start happening recently, like after a round of mods were installed? Did you have any custom tuning before the dealer re-flashed your computer?

Could be something like readings from a ported MAF or MAF ends installed. If you have a TC, it could be torque management kicking in.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

The MAF Sensor is untouched, and the torque converter is the stock one. It started to do this when I just had a Lid and exhaust. Its been like this for a while. As a matter of fact, a while back it would get stuck, and I would have to let go of the gas for it to shift. But that went away. Now it is just double shifting. Thats what it feels like.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ah, get a stall. then at least youll know what to blame your tranny problems on

just kidding..
Old 04-27-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

It didn't do it when your car was 100% stock at all? I know it's really obvious, but have you changed/checked the trans. fluid and/or filter? Also make sure that the level is filled up precisely to full, not over or under. My trans. acts funny sometimes when the level isn't spot on.

Is it possible that the pan filter is positioned too close to the pan and not allowing enough fluid to get by?

I'm just trying to eliminate all of the possiblities, this is a pretty weird symptom.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

The dealership just changed the fluid, the valve body, and gasket. So I know that is correct. I just cant figure it out.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man, I'm stumped. The only other thing I can think of is that the airflow changes from your mods might be affecting your MAF readings enough to confuse the computer. The confused computer is having problems shifting your trans properly as a result. Perhaps a new tune on the MAF table and or VE would correct the problem? This is a total shot in the dark on my part though.

The '01's and '02's usually aren't as susceptible to MAF fluctuations as the older years, but it may still be a possiblity? I would look to tuning as a last resort though after making sure there isn't a mechanical problem.