Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Should the PP be balanced with the flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 01:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the PP be balanced with the flywheel?

I have talked to a few shops, A&A performance being the most reputable, and they are very much for balancing the PP to the flywheel. It makes plenty of sense to me since all of the load passes through the clutch but a friend of mine disagrees. He is using a mcleod clutch with aluminum flywheel that he just bolted up and his car now makes random noises and grinds sooo bad his brand new t56 is now toast. The problems may not be related to the flywheel i would just like to get some opinions of balancing the PP with the flywheel. Is it a good idea? Would it be worth paying a machine shop to do? If it's a good idea does anyone have any nice facts to back it up?

Greg
Old 04-28-2005, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

It is a must!!! i balance alot of pp anfdflywheels and you would be very suprised at what a poor job the mfgs. are doing . vibrations are not pleasent and are distructive.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i didn't get mine balanced. i have 300 miles on it and it chatters, but it's progressively getting much better, and it wasn't even bad to begin with. i can start from a stop and you'd probably never feel it. btw, most clutches will chatter a little when they are first installed - even if they are properly balanced.