Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gear question

Okay I'm sure this has been discussed to death but please overlook my ignorance. I' don't know the first thing about rear axles.

I have 2002 A4 with 3:23 (GU5) option... What I don't know is which kind of limited slip I have. Is it a Torsen or Aubrun? I can tell you this much the car is not a SLP car...

I hear use Syn fluid in one kind and Dino oil with GM additive in the other. Which for which? and which L.S. do I have?

My next question is how much fluid do I need to do a complete fluid change? Also any recommendations on brand's?

I plan on upgrading the gears but I only want to get GM gears. Don't won't "Motive", "Richmond" or any other types... Just geniue GM gears. So does anyone know of a place that sell's 3:73 GM gears for a 3 series carrier? How much can I expect to pay and what is the GM part Number for the 3 series 3:73 GM gears.

Can you recommend a install kit perferably a geniue GM kit. I hear Ratech is a very bad and poorly made install kit.

Is there anything else I have over looked? the Car only has 14,000 miles on it and has never seen a track or been abused. So eveything should be in excellent shape bearing wise; that is?

PS: no need to recommend a rearend girdle. I have one ready to be installed when I do the gear swap...
Old 05-02-2005, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

If i am not mistaken any f-bod newer than 98 has a Zexel Torsen and as for how much oil, u should be right at about 2 quarts and that should be full plus the additive. Im sure one of the sponsors carries GM gears. When i bought my gears "Richomond" they came with an install kit that included the oil so i cant recomend u a certain oil cause maybe ur gears and kit might come with the oil they prefer u use.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info.

How did you like the richmonds... I hear they are pretty noisy as compared to others?
Old 05-08-2005, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

They make some noise but ive been told its harmonics, its right around 60 or so, but its not bad the stereo can cover it. Another thing is richmonds are supposed to be pretty strong, i know i didnt run a break in peroid cause i race my car at the first stop light leaving the shop. They are holding up fine.