Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI Converter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TCI Converter Issues

Well, attempted to install and TCI SSF3500 and it was a complete disaster. I have installed many Torque Converters and never experienced anything like this. I dropped the transmission without any problems. Removed the stock TC and what a boat anchor that was. Attempted to install the TCI and it would not go all the way on. The spec was 1 1/64" and I could barely get 3/4". I spun it a lot and did not seat any further. Tried to pull it off and almost busted a nut doing so. I have never seen a TC stick like that. I am talking about putting my knees on the transmission bellhousing and pull TC like a ****. Tried this a few times and finally gave up. I called TCI and what a joke that was. The guy told me to stand the transmission on the output shaft and push the TC on. What the %$^&. I am sure that is not good for the output shaft to have the much weight on it including the extra pressure of push the TC on. Needless to say, the TC is going back and asked for the failure analysis. Reinstalled the stock TC and it went right on, like it is supposed to. At least the guy I was doing it for could drive it home. Am I doing something wrong or it the TC manufactured incorrectly? The TC was specifically for a LS1, 242932 was the part number. All I can say is a day wasted, 11 hours down the drain fiddling around with this TC. Comments appreciated.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just had a similar experience yesterday. And I also have installed lots of converter, but all Yanks and never a problem. Two of us dicked with a TCI SSF3500 for about 15 minutes and couldn't get to go on but about 3/4 inch. Took it off and back on numerous times. Compared the snout to the stocker. I look for 1 1/8" +- .050 from bell housing flange to the converter mounting flange. Made a phone call to verify they shipped us a LS1 converter. Third guy walked up and ask what was going on. We explained. Well, he pulled the converter off, stabbed it back on and click, click, click, it just spun right on. He looked at us like WTF and just walked off. I don't know what the moral of the story is, except maybe don't give up too fast.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I messed with it for 2 hours. That should be more than enough time. I have installed Yank's and Midwest's and never had a installation problem. When you pulled the TCI off, did come right off or was it a bitch? Removing a converter should not be a vein popping event either. The stock TC slid on like butter and got the necessary clearance from the pads to the bellhousing face. Also, it felt like the converter was bottoming out and still only had 3/4 inch. I probably spun the TCI 70 times and it would drop another 1/4 inch. I hate when things like this happen. I wasn't my car but, I want to know what happened. Always an opportunity to learn something new.

Last edited by Blacker; 05-05-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, we put the stocker back on so I could convince the other guy that the TCI needed to go on further. And yes, the TCI was a bitch to pull back off each time too. Stocker went on and off very easy. The third guy that got it to go on did nothing different that we had not been doing. I guess it was just his lucky day.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you remember to drill the flex plate for that one hole. I still can not understand why TCI can't use the 10x1.5 size converter mounting bolt.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it I did. I had a friend of mine warn me of this potential problem. Nothing a dremel couldn't handle. Those are some big bolts that TCI uses.