Sponsored by:

Any hand helds worth the $

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any hand helds worth the $

Howdy,
I'm thinking about a few mods. Are any of the hand held programers like Hypertech worth anything? Any suggestions would be great thanks.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Vinci is awesome.Before a mailorder I got a 12.27@112,after it I never approached that again.I dynoed the car and got 360/365 corrected and fell off at 5500 because of being pig rich.I got a vinci tuner and after I installed it redynoed and got 415/402 observed.The car is a bear and the 117 mph slips prove pretty got for a cam only w/bolt ons.

Last edited by glennster; 05-07-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dajodsterman
Howdy,
I'm thinking about a few mods. Are any of the hand held programers like Hypertech worth anything? Any suggestions would be great thanks.
In my opinion the hypertech isn't worth too much. It's worth more if you have an auto and can adjust the tranny settings. It also works as a quick fix for stuff like fan adjustment or tire size/gear settings. But most people will tell you the boxed tune hasn't made leaps and bounds for them. Do a search and you'll find there are quite a few people who also claim to lose power with it.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont get hypertech its a waste, predator is ok if you wanna pay extra for the custom tunes. vinci i dont know about i have never used it but it sounds nice. save up for hp tuners, makes things a lot better lol its not hard to learn either
Old 05-09-2005, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Hey thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

I'll second the Vinci!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

i'll third it. picked up .2 and 1.4 mph when the 00 formula was stock.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrr23
i'll third it. picked up .2 and 1.4 mph when the 00 formula was stock.

man that's a pretty good gain. I've been doing a little searching on the vinci sounds like a really good product. Do you know if it can turn off the ses light for codes like the EGR and the AIR? How does it compare to HP Tuners or LS1 Edit. I know those two aren't hand helds but I just wanted to know how much the vinci can do. I'll probably never do anything internal just bolt-ons but I would like something that would give me a good tune and get rid of that ses light without pulling the bulb. Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO no handheld can compait to having your own tuning software and logging. now there are good handhels but there is no compairison, from what i have been reading LS1Edit is out of the game pretty much, its hp tuners or efi live
Old 05-13-2005, 07:26 AM
10 Second Club

man that's a pretty good gain. I've been doing a little searching on the vinci sounds like a really good product. Do you know if it can turn off the ses light for codes like the EGR and the AIR? How does it compare to HP Tuners or LS1 Edit. I know those two aren't hand helds but I just wanted to know how much the vinci can do. I'll probably never do anything internal just bolt-ons but I would like something that would give me a good tune and get rid of that ses light without pulling the bulb. Thanks for all the info guys.
the vinci/crane tuner does not delete codes. it does however, set the parameters wide enough so as not to trip the SES light. i have verified this when i tried the tuner in my friends 99TA M6 (jwitt2 on this board) he had no cats, no rear o2, no AIR, and no EGR. after installing the tuner, the light stayed off. he picked up .5 with his tuner at two different tracks.

you can check codes and erase them with it also. here's a tutorial i made for the vinci/crane tuner. http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm
Old 05-13-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the Hypertech cause a) it only set me back 200 cause I had one for my 00 silverado, B) gas milage and being in CA 2.6 to 2.83/G for 91

2000 6SPD 65,000 MILES. MOD: HYPERTECH, WS6STORE SHORT STICK, FLOWMASTER MUFFLER, MONROE SENSE-A-TRACK SHOCKS, SLP LID & BELLOW
Old 05-13-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

hypertech dosnt do much for performace but shift points, it may lean you out and give u some more power but there is way more to get than what they do
Old 05-13-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Howdy,

F*CK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HyperCRAP is a POS (I got talked into one when I first got my car 4 years ago.......after 6 months I realized what a POS it was and why my car pinged like a MotherFU*Ker all the time....... ).....

the actual "tuner" hand helds (like the predator) are the "worst" level that should be looked at and then only if you do not have a laptop/access to one....

if you have a laptop/or a friend with one.......there is NO reason to buy anything but HPTuner (had LS1Edit for 2 years......LS1Edit = SH*T compared to HPTuner in so many ways......) or EFILive (if you have the money)......

even if you don't NEED to tune a whole lot (like you don't have a cam), GET IT ANYWAYS! You will pay %60-75% of HPTuner's cost with those BS "handhelds" and if/when you ever do more you will be back spending more......

Old 05-15-2005, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
F*CK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HyperCRAP is a POS (I got talked into one when I first got my car 4 years ago.......after 6 months I realized what a POS it was and why my car pinged like a MotherFU*Ker all the time....... ).....

the actual "tuner" hand helds (like the predator) are the "worst" level that should be looked at and then only if you do not have a laptop/access to one....

if you have a laptop/or a friend with one.......there is NO reason to buy anything but HPTuner (had LS1Edit for 2 years......LS1Edit = SH*T compared to HPTuner in so many ways......) or EFILive (if you have the money)......

even if you don't NEED to tune a whole lot (like you don't have a cam), GET IT ANYWAYS! You will pay %60-75% of HPTuner's cost with those BS "handhelds" and if/when you ever do more you will be back spending more......

I want to go w/ the HP tuners but I just moved overseas (military). Anyways I have 2 camaros and my 01 was kinda a slug compared to my Z. I thru on the Predator and it made a world of difference! Not defending them or anything I much rather have HP tuners instead. But for a used $75 dollar programmer and $75 dollar whatever they do to retune fee, it was worth it. 150 bucks made the car feel real good It could actually lay rubber like my Z but I didnt have time to do any track tests My Z bone stock went 13.2 the SS w/ headers lid only went 13.7 But im sure it picked up a little. Sad that the SS is so much af a "High Performance" factory car and a bone stock Z can beat it. and my Z is heavier thats what I dont get. A little off subject but yes HP Tuners got my vote and when I return to the states both Camaros will be HP tunerized!
Old 05-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Launching!

I'm a newby at this tuning stuff guys and well doing this retro fit into my 86 camaro out of a 02 is really getting me into some jams.... I am wondering first off where to get HP tuners and second of all what all is required i have a laptop sitting beside me but has windows xp on it so i imagine it will be able to run this hp tuners but it sounds like i need cables and stuff to get info to one form the other computer haha as always anywasy any info on this type of stuff would realy be appreciated as I plan on doing all my own work Boooo to speartech or painless.... no they are great but i haev an entire car so why not take some credit for the work eh????
Old 05-15-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bifster
I'm a newby at this tuning stuff guys and well doing this retro fit into my 86 camaro out of a 02 is really getting me into some jams.... I am wondering first off where to get HP tuners and second of all what all is required i have a laptop sitting beside me but has windows xp on it so i imagine it will be able to run this hp tuners but it sounds like i need cables and stuff to get info to one form the other computer haha as always anywasy any info on this type of stuff would realy be appreciated as I plan on doing all my own work Boooo to speartech or painless.... no they are great but i haev an entire car so why not take some credit for the work eh????
www.hptuners.com
xp works fine with it, I've run it on a laptop as slow as 300mhz before without issue. right now you'll need a usb to serial adapter (not belkin or radio shack) if you don't have a serial port... I do this and never had a problem... the 2.0 hardware will be an option for USB
Old 05-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by horist
www.hptuners.com
xp works fine with it, I've run it on a laptop as slow as 300mhz before without issue. right now you'll need a usb to serial adapter (not belkin or radio shack) if you don't have a serial port... I do this and never had a problem... the 2.0 hardware will be an option for USB
If i order the vcm suite pro do i not get the interface cable and software for 2 vehicles??? I want it for one at least but if i chose another vehicle could i not use those maps on mine presuming the systems are the same????
Old 05-16-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

when you order HPT you get 1 cable and 2 licenses ... the licenses are year and model based... so a 2000 V8 F-Body license will work on any 2000 V8 F-Body unlimited number of times...

basically whichever licenses you choose on the order page, you can read/write any vehicle that falls under that year and model .
Old 05-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Launching!

ok thats good maybe i can make some back on this with my buddies car. as well do i not get the flash,edit and scanner software with?????? to make it all work correct
Old 05-16-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

yup the software includes an editor, a flasher, and a scanner and 1 cable. the software works w/the cable you receive and can be used on any car you have a year/make license for. You'll also get the 2.0 software once released