Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD tuning throw MAF code?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SD tuning throw MAF code?

Hey guys, I had a basic mail order speed density tune programed into my computer. The program was only needed to crank the car and not have my injectors wash out the cylinders until I could get it to the dyno. The car is now throwing MAF high and low frequency codes and I was wondering if this was just a biproduct of the SD mode, or if something was done wrong. The car dosen't run very smooth at all and acts as if it is missing really bad. I wasn't expecting alot out of the mail order, but wanted to make sure that the code is or isn't supposed to be there?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on how it was tuned.. in order to go into speed density our PCMs need to see a MAF fail condition ... MAF Fail = SD

I set my car to throw an SES as a reminder that I'm in SD... but in the tune it's possible to set it so that the PCM doesn't set an SES light but still goes into speed density ...

Mail order speed density tune doesn't sound like a good thing to me though... it takes alot of logs to properly dial a car in for SD ... not something that can be calculated or just applied w/out logs IMHO
Old 05-12-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
depends on how it was tuned.. in order to go into speed density our PCMs need to see a MAF fail condition ... MAF Fail = SD

I set my car to throw an SES as a reminder that I'm in SD... but in the tune it's possible to set it so that the PCM doesn't set an SES light but still goes into speed density ...

Mail order speed density tune doesn't sound like a good thing to me though... it takes alot of logs to properly dial a car in for SD ... not something that can be calculated or just applied w/out logs IMHO
Thanks for the info. Like I said, the tune was just a bare nuts file. It's only intention was to keep the injectors from washing out the cylinders. With the negativity I've seen about the SD tunes, I don't think I'm gunna stay this way. I don't have my own software to tweak with, so a MAF might be a better option in my case.