Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Scaling/FT's

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF Scaling/FT's

Gentlemen, I have performed the following mods in my sig. I have now got my VE table pretty close, around 0 to-3's and I have NOT made any changes to the air filter, meter, box or tube. However, as soon as I plug the ole meter back in, the trims will go lean by about 3 to 4. Should they do this with no changes made to the intake system? I didn't think it would change the calibration of MAF. Input?
Old 05-13-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMCVT
Gentlemen, I have performed the following mods in my sig. I have now got my VE table pretty close, around 0 to-3's and I have NOT made any changes to the air filter, meter, box or tube. However, as soon as I plug the ole meter back in, the trims will go lean by about 3 to 4. Should they do this with no changes made to the intake system? I didn't think it would change the calibration of MAF. Input?
I would expect a slight displacement of air metering since after all you totally changed the air dynamics of your motor with the cam, and boltons certainly tend to lean you out. +3 to +4 isn't really too bad though, just very minor discrepency there. If you're feeling lazy, and aren't too ****, you could do a blanket increase by 3% and that should take care of the trick. It's idle areas I would keep an eye on cuz the fueling there can be kind of stupid... In any case, if you have done no intake mods whatsoever, don't you think you're starving your setup a bit? Do not fear MAF mods!!! They can be plenty fruitful if well adpated to.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by txhorns281
I would expect a slight displacement of air metering since after all you totally changed the air dynamics of your motor with the cam, and boltons certainly tend to lean you out. +3 to +4 isn't really too bad though, just very minor discrepency there. If you're feeling lazy, and aren't too ****, you could do a blanket increase by 3% and that should take care of the trick. It's idle areas I would keep an eye on cuz the fueling there can be kind of stupid... In any case, if you have done no intake mods whatsoever, don't you think you're starving your setup a bit? Do not fear MAF mods!!! They can be plenty fruitful if well adpated to.
I absolutely do think I am starving it a little, your exactly right. However, I'm not sure how much. The bolt-on CAI's gains have been negligable. Plus, we really dont have a TRUE CAI, they all pick up under the hood but the systems like the K&N and Lingenfelter do have heat shields. I have decided to go with the K&N I just haven't gotten around to getting it yet. Now isn't it also true that if my trims are positive when I go to WOT that it will add more fuel than necessary during PM? Thank you!
Old 05-14-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMCVT
I absolutely do think I am starving it a little, your exactly right. However, I'm not sure how much. The bolt-on CAI's gains have been negligable. Plus, we really dont have a TRUE CAI, they all pick up under the hood but the systems like the K&N and Lingenfelter do have heat shields. I have decided to go with the K&N I just haven't gotten around to getting it yet. Now isn't it also true that if my trims are positive when I go to WOT that it will add more fuel than necessary during PM? Thank you!
If you are carrying over positive trims into WOT then yes it will richen you up. I think one guy on here found that each trim amount can correlate to .1 AFR. Meaning +2 would mean .2 AFR richer. Sooo unless your trims are more than 2-3 I would say don't worry be happy. Of course there are ways to get rid of that. Do you have any AFR data at WOT to look at anyway?
Old 05-14-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by txhorns281
If you are carrying over positive trims into WOT then yes it will richen you up. I think one guy on here found that each trim amount can correlate to .1 AFR. Meaning +2 would mean .2 AFR richer. Sooo unless your trims are more than 2-3 I would say don't worry be happy. Of course there are ways to get rid of that. Do you have any AFR data at WOT to look at anyway?
I see, I do not have any data as of yet. I plan on purchasing the LC-1 here in about a month to tune my WOT.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot My Tuner has me @ -7.0 to -8.0 @ Idle in park,Driving down the road at a steady cruise I am at -14.0...Hmmm how to cure this?