Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Turbo or Super

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or Super

Whih is better to throw on for a street/stripe car?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you talking roots type blower or centrifugal? Personally I'd go with a roots but I'm partial to them. It's power on demand, nothing to spool up like a turbo or centr, just don't turn them too fast or it'll heat the air up too much. Torque comes in strong down low on them, that's good for the street. Only problem with them is hood clearance. I'm thinking about going with a Weiand 177 on a 327 in my ol '53 pickup. It has enough clearance to put a 6-71 on it if I wanted to though.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Second Club

what motor, im assuimg this is in sbc/bbc so i also have to say roots style blower.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Turbochargers and small Vortech/Procharger/Paxton setups are friendly for a daily driver. I'd do a magnacharger if I wanted a simple EFI sbc to see how fun that is but for now I'll stay carb'd. A Roots/Magnacharger looks easiest to install since nothing up front of the engine needs to be relocated. A Blow through setup can be done but EFI is what makes a "killer combo" tame as a bunny on the street. There is no lag with any turbo/blower setup if it's done properly. All depends on your budget, skills, and tools allow I guess.