Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dumb stall question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumb stall question

I am going to put a stall into my car, I Think I basically know what it does, but what size should I go, im going middle size cam, and its going to be a street car.

What size should I go
What does it do exactly?
How does it help your times? I know im retarded.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Check out fuddle racing http://www.fuddleracing.com/ , there a site sponsor and they have a pretty good write up on what a stall does, and how to select it. Also might want to nail down your cam selection too, to make sure the components will work well together.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search. Search. Search.

The three standard recommendations are a Vig3200 (stalls higher), TCI SSF3500 and Yank SS3600. Search and read about them. You could go bigger and get something like a vig3600, yank SS4000 or TCI SSF4000.

Will you be upgrading your rear end or gears?

Search should answer your other questions. Try howstuffworks.com as well.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

How does it help your times?

A high-stall torque converter increases performance in a couple of ways. The first is the obvious one in that it helps you off the line via its higher stall speed and increased torque. The other big advantage provided is what's called “shift extension.” With a high-stall converter when your transmission shifts at WOT, instead of the engine speed dropping down to 3000-3500 rpm, it will stay at 4000-5000+ rpm (depending on the converter) and you'll be right back up to redline again for your next shift. This results in your motor staying in the meat of its power band for the whole run and that translates into improved ETs. This “shift extension” factor will help even if you never visit a drag strip, as it will eliminate the “dead spot” that stock converter cars suffer from. Now, when you accelerate and your transmission kicks down into passing gear, instead of your engine having to build up speed from the 3000 rpm range, you'll be starting at that higher engine speed which translates into better acceleration, better performance, and safer passing.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I have 4.10's in my auto right now, I was probably going to go to 3.73's but I got a great deal on the 4.10s and it runs great. Alot of fun, I am goin to gateway to see if I max out before the qm I don't think I do. Does it make me have more tire spin when I take off the line with a big stall?

Like at the line would I hold the gas near the stall height when I go to take off?
Old 05-21-2005, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't actually brake stall the converter to it's rated stall speed. It seems that stalling it up to about half of flash stall speed works well. You want to get some rpm's up (and load on the suspension/rear) but not all the way to the stall speed. (even if you could)

Yes, it will make traction off the line more difficult, but you'll be quicker if you do stick. Steeper gears take some of the looseness out of the converters as well.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your help guys appreciated.