Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Question(s) about clutch installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question(s) about clutch installation

My question is first of all, is a new clutch necessary when your slave goes bad. I took my 98Z to a shop because I don't have a garage and they basically told me my slave was bad and because it was leaking I would need a new clutch, pplate, etc too. Is this really true? They also quoted me about $1200, $850 for parts, I know it can't be that expensive.

BTW, about 10 months ago I did master cylinder swap w/ drill mod because pedal was sticking. Worked well for a while, then it started doing it again except slightly differently, I couldn't always pump it back up. I have to refill the reservoir every so often to keep the fluid full. Sometimes I'll push the pedal in and I can "feel" the fluid leaving the line. This has been going on for a couple months. Can this cause me to have to replace the clutch?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sure, if the fluid leaked onto the clutch and damaged it. BTW, $1200 isn't bad nor is $850 in parts. Our clutches are damn expensive.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a 98Z:

Clutch and pressure plate kit @ $499
Slave @ $75
Throwout bearing @ $75 (may come as part of the clutch/pressure plate kit)
Pilot bearing @ $15 (may not be needed)
Facing the flywheel @ $50
New flywheel bolts @ $10 (its reccommended that they be replaced on Hi-performance cars).

About $725 or so retail at someplace like Advance/Auto Zone/Pep Boys/Napa. You could do a lot better if you had a friend who could get them wholesale W/O tax.

What did I forget? Hummmmmm...? I don't know its too early here.

These prices are without shoping around. Yeah I think $850 may be just a little bit high. But I guess it's in the ballpark if you add in the mark-up in price a shop would normally apply.