Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifter neutral return spring mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shifter neutral return spring mod

I was getting tired of my Pro 5.0 not re-centering from the 1-2 side so I finally took it apart and did the spring mod. LINK? There was a write up I read a long time ago that gave me the idea. I had a spring that was just about the same length and fit inside the normal spring so I used that to increase the pressure instead of using a big spacer to compress the spring more (the write up).

Orriginally I did it to both sides but when I put it back together it was still doing the same thing. If you do both springs it changes nothing (they cancel out). So I took it back apart and put the "booster" spring on only the right side (this pops the handle back to neutral from the 1-2 side). I put eveything back together again and now it works perfect!
The shifter now has enough spring pressure to pop the handle back into neutral from either side. the 1-2-neutral is a little bit stronger than the 5-6-neutral but both work excellent (this is actually good because you use the 1-2-neutral more)

Just thought Id share my experience and let everybody know it was a very easy thing to do and Im sure when I drive it will be a lot nicer to shift with.