Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

O-rings in the fuel tank....HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default O-rings in the fuel tank....HELP!!!

Okay, here's the deal. I am putting together a twin intank set up on my 2000 camaro. I am using a Y fitting that has "AN" threaded holes in the tank.

I was told I need to use O-rings on the "AN" fittings that screw into the Y fitting.

I don't feel so good about using O-rings that are in the tank submerged in gas. What do you guys think???

Also, if I shouldn't use O-rings. What should I use to seal the "AN" fittings on the Y block inside the tank? Remember that this Y fitting uses "AN" threads but does NOT have the tappered head so the "AN" can seal up to it. It is just a Y fitting with "AN" thread pitch and nothing else!

I think I should be able to tighten it down real good and leave it. Maybe I should use some JB weld at the top of the threads so that it will seal.

Also, I am going to drill the top of the plastic so I can run the wires for the second pump to come out. What should I use to seal that hole??

What do you guys think? I need help ASAP, as I would like to get this thing back together.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 05-24-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those o-rings are designed to handle gas. You should be able to use them and be fine.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, O-ring AN fittings will handle just about anything. Once they are tight, they wont see as much fuel as you think. The seals are usaully viton too. There pretty damn tuff. Just make sure you get them tight and check them a few times. Mine liked to back off the first couple of times I tightened them.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, thanks guys. I don't know where the O-rings came from, my buddy that ordered the parts for me pulled them out of a box. I don't know if they are viton or not. How do you know?? I also put a little white grease around them so the would tighten down good.

I was worried about them slowly cracking and leaking...then hurting the motor.

Okay well I will run them and see what happens.

On a side note....I am using one of the "S" bend 3/8's rubber hose that comes with the Walbro pumps. Is this good enough to run. It looks good. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Glenn