Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator tuning question

I have long tube headers and an off road Y on my 01' SS (A4 trans).
I am currently still running the stock programming in the car. I've been told LS1's typically run a little on the rich side after installing headers. I plan on going to the track in the next few days and my question is would I be better off running the the stock programming or can I use the Performance Program that came with the Predator ?
I was reading on Diablosport's site that thier Performance tune program remaps timing & fuel curves. The last thing I want to do is add more fuel to a car that is already running rich.
Reason I ask is I've been waiting for a custom tune since mid-april and I'm assuming I still won't have it by the time I go to the track.

Thanks
-Nick D.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Use the Predator to see what your A/F ratio is, then you will know if you need to adjust it or not.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

When I added LT FLP headers and Catted high flow Y I was running really rich 11.2/1 on the stock Predator programming. Could smell more of a fuel smell at idle and engine had all sorts of strange noises and went through lots of fuel. I took my Predator with me and ran a wideband dyno run. That is how I found out my A/F was 11.2:1. I used the Predator and took away about 2% fuel enrichment and A/F went to 12:1 which gave me a 20 h.p gain over the 12 or 13 gain at 11.2:1, so I was sitting at 12:1 and had around a 32h.p gain from previous dyno on same dyno. All SAE corrected. So I slowly took it up to 12.8:1 and ended up taking away 3.5% fuel and ended up with a 35hp gain. I didn't mess with spark, because I already get too much and car is on the edge of knocking. Still does when it is in OD and tapping the gas up a hill etc.. I wasn't too happy after getting on the dyno and seeing a big 12h.p with the LT's. But after the adjustments I am very happy and car is smooth as before and mileage is back to normal. I did the A.I.R mod and helped with the clickity sound when taking off from a stock.
This is what I would do(remember these are just my opinions and opinions are a dime a dozen, plus all our cars are slighly different).
If you smell a fuel smell out the exhaust that you didn't before(mine had 0 fuel smell, almost smelled like a sauna). After the LT's you could smell fuel. Take away about 2% fuel enrichment, don't mess with spark if you get any knock retard. I drive around on hills etc and do some WOT freeway runs and check my KR. Drive the car for a couple days to let computer adjust and take it in and get a dyno with wideband. When you hit your max power spot it will be in the 12.6 to 13.0 area(at least my 02 was) when you see you remove some fuel and your not getting a increase in h.p it's time to stop. Also I would stop just before 13:1, I would rather be a little rich than lean(At least it is safe). Since your getting a custom tune soon you may not want to pay for a dyno and A/F. Just about every LS1 I have seen with Lt's went rich, so if you do put the predator tune in I would take away 2% fuel and leave spark alone or go 1%. Make shifts 25% faster and leave everything else alone for now. Then wait for a custom tune. Even after you take away 2% fuel you may smell a fuel smell because the Predators main gain is for WOT, but at least during WOT runs you will not be so rich.

Last edited by rotwiler; 05-25-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:28 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the great advice. I figured with headers and a converter, which I plan to do next , a custom tune for the Predator would be fine. . I'm also planning on putting a cam in the car at some point and figured it would be worth it to just have it dyno tuned then.
I will try what you said, thanks again for your help I really appreciate it.