Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

is my dennys ds too far into trans (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is my dennys ds too far into trans (pic)

this is the 3rd fbody ive had this ds on. it fit fine on my 93 and my 2000 with the same moser 12 bolt. ive only test driven the car since the 12 bolt install the other day and im getting a rumbling vibration whenever i touch the gas starting at about 30-40 mph. it seems to be right where the tailshaft of the trans is under me. i want to confirm this is my problem before i ship my ds to dennys and have no car for a week. kev

forgot too mention my trans to pinion yoke measurement was 43 & 11/16" and my ds from center of cap to cap is 40 & 11/16"
Attached Thumbnails is my dennys ds too far into trans (pic)-cid__image019.jpg  

Last edited by kev93z; 05-27-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I'd say thats too long as you step on the gas the suspension compresses and the yoke is prob. bottoming out on the output shaft.. not a good situation.. if you have an inch of slip you're pretty safe
Old 05-27-2005, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the response. it is too long i beleive but i just tried something and still have the noise. i had a ds laying around that was built locally and was too short for my 93 camaro but they put a longer yoke on it to make up the distance. i know thats the wrong way to do it and is why i got the dennys in the end. so i took the yoke and cut 3/4 of an inch off it and it fit perfect. took it for a drive and same noise.
im thinkin my 12 bolt is messed up inside from a accident i had in january. i just replaced a smashed axle bearing yesterday. i thought that was the only damage to the rear but now im starting to wonder if i have issues with the posi or bearings in there. when i wrecked i hit the passenger wheel and it broke a 6 inch chunk of the rim off. so the axle hit hard and even made 4 ball bearing impressions in the housing from the axle bearing. the bearing race was fine though, it was actually the next lip inside the housing that the ball bearings pressed into. i smoothed them out but i dont see any parts that it would effect anyway. im at my wits end , shoulda just left the 10 bolt in there.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:54 AM
Launching!

Since you busted the rim up like and had a crushed bearing, I 90% positive you bent an Axle. I had bought one of my third gens with a simmilar symptym only to find out the kid I got it from macked a curb and bent the axle and tried to not tell me.