Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2000 TransAm Manual Gear box leak problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2000 TransAm Manual Gear box leak problem.

I'm in england UK, just spent double my budget on performance parts which are currently being shipped to me. Its sods law that something should go wrong with the car.

I have a whining noise when pulling away, almost sounds likes a supercharger, but dont have one. The car is a manual 6 speed. I have started seeing oil coming from the slotted vent in the bell housing. These two things could be differet problems. I wonder is somen can shed some light on it.

I guess the oil seal has gone on the input shaft of the gear box which would explain the oil leak, pretty sure its gear box oil leaking as the oil level was down a little.

The whining noise I was thinking would be bearings aorund the input shaft in the gear box, but been told by someone that knows alot about auto boxes says there wont be any bearings there, is this true on a manual? He says the whinning noice will be the thrust bearing. The noise gets higher pitched when revs increase, no noise when out of gear.

I have a new clutch to go in there including the thrust bearing, going to take it to a garage, want to make sure I have all the bits as there is no local dealer here in the UK.

So would we say its the thrust bearing and an oil seal on the input shaft?

Many Thanks

Dan.