Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie Tuning Question

I just had the heads and cam installed on my car. The install came with a tune. But right now at idle it surges. Do the settings take a little driving to set in? Or is this something I need to have looked at? Also, it seems like sometimes the car just lunges forward when taking off. Could that be the transmission slipping or should I look at air/fuel settings first? I don't really know much about how these things work so forgive me if I'm sounding kind of stupid right now. Also, the idle is rough at <900RPM. But right at 1000 it seems to smooth out. The car is an automatic also. I can try to give more information if this is all to vague.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vilkata
I just had the heads and cam installed on my car. The install came with a tune. But right now at idle it surges. Do the settings take a little driving to set in? Or is this something I need to have looked at? Also, it seems like sometimes the car just lunges forward when taking off. Could that be the transmission slipping or should I look at air/fuel settings first? I don't really know much about how these things work so forgive me if I'm sounding kind of stupid right now. Also, the idle is rough at <900RPM. But right at 1000 it seems to smooth out. The car is an automatic also. I can try to give more information if this is all to vague.

Surging at low RPM is VERY common with larger cams and it can be minimized with tunning, it most likely just needs some minor tweaking,my suggestion is to get with a qualified tuner in your area and set up a dyno session to dial in your setup completly
Old 05-28-2005, 07:33 AM
TECH Junkie

I would suggest picking up EFILive/Flashscan or HPT and tune it your self. In the long run, it will come out cheaper.

If you need any help, I, and many others on this board, am more than glad to help