Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Looking for a new clutch, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for a new clutch, need suggestions

I have an 02 SS with 15k miles on it. I have torched my stock POS clutch at least 5 times up to this point and it's starting to feel a bit mushy. I've read about the drill mod and I am not sure if I do that along with a fluid change if I'll be alright for a while or if I should bite the bullet and buy a new clutch. A local speed shop is reccommending a McLeod single disk and I do not see too much praise about this clutch on this board. I do not have any power mods other than a lid and exhaust although I am planning on a procharger in a year or so so I want to be sure to accommodate that. What's the best clutch for me? I will be autocrossing the car with a very occasional trip to the drag strip. Also, what should I expect to pay? Thanks. Oh, will or should the drill mod still be done if I do get a new clutch installed? Thanks...
Old 05-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to purchase a Textralia clutch for arond $950. They are a sponser.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey SSPeteSS I'm in the same situation as you. I have 14,000 miles on my 2002 SS and my clutch is spent. I can't drive a manual very well...still. I'm 37 and this is my first manual. I smoked my clutch trying to do a 2nd gear burn out..it didn't go well. So anyways if it makes you feel better I'm looking hard at the Mcleod Single Disk Kevlar/Organic, billet steel flywheel and thinking hard about the Mcleod scatter sheild....like to keep my feet. Also I think that some of the blame might be our hydraulics. I hear about this drill mod but really don't know if it will engage/disengage faster by doing this drill mod. Or is the drill mod only for people grinding gears? I have never had a problem grinding gears. The PRO-5.0 shifter is great I might add. Little noisy but a lot better than the factory hurst.