Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

whining sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whining sound

i have a bad whining sound coming from my stero, it sounds just like a fuel pump whine but it goes on and off with the radio and up and down with the RPM's of the motor, i have a alpine cda9833 deck, ma audio 489i 4 channel amp, and infinity kappa speakers, could it be a bad ground from the amp causing it, it only comes from the rear speakers
Old 06-05-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like a bad ground
Old 06-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Launching!

You've narrowed it down a lot more than most people would. You are on the right track. Noises like this (called alternator whine) are almost always caused by a bad ground or ground loop somewhere. The other culprit of this symptom is a signal (RCA) cable picking up RFI because it is laying too close to the car's wiring. This could happen if your RCA's are running along side your fuel pump power wires.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daley
You've narrowed it down a lot more than most people would. You are on the right track. Noises like this (called alternator whine) are almost always caused by a bad ground or ground loop somewhere. The other culprit of this symptom is a signal (RCA) cable picking up RFI because it is laying too close to the car's wiring. This could happen if your RCA's are running along side your fuel pump power wires.
Since it's a 4 channel amp and only the back channels are doing it, it's comming from the RCA's like Daley said.

To test unplug the RCA's for the rears and see if it goes away. If it does, Could be bad RCA's, Not pluged in all the way, the outside of the RCA touching ground, or next to a power cable somewhere.

Did you run 2 pairs or 1 pair.

If 2 did you run both cables together.

If ran together, it's more then likely, not a induced problem because it would effect both. Like too close to a power cable. Check for a loose connection or the outside of the RCA end touching somewhere.

Also, Try wiggling the RCA ends at the amp and the Radio.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

see the thing is i only have the rears running off the amp right now, i ran i set of RCA's its the high end monster cable ones i forget what series it is, i think it may be the ground coming loose, im going to play around with it tomorrow, thanks guys
Old 06-05-2005, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

I got the same problem on my car. I even ran ground loop isolater on the RCA's. I think it has to do with my remote turn on. Gonna Check mine again too.