Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Gotta Choose AUTO or MANUAL

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta Choose AUTO or MANUAL

I have been reading threads on both these transmissions, 4L60E and the T56.

Which one do I want? I like the 6spd.

The goal of the motor is 600hp RWHP.

auto or manual... any comments.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

you wont blow as meny trannies with the 6speed
Old 06-07-2005, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id say build the auto tranny and put a high stall converter, rear ends seem to last longer with autos too. and most everyone who knows about racing will tell you if you have too cars with the exact mods but one auto and the other a manual, the auto will win. My th400 is pretty much done but just from trying it out up and down the road I love the feel of the converter. plus if I want to leave it in drive and have the trans do the shifting i can. Or I can power shift it.

Unless you dont suck driving stick like me Id say get the auto and you dont have to worry about rears and missing gears.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i will agree that an auto is easier to drive fast but a manual has its pluses also

its is much more fun to drive, you get to pick your gear, thay are more durable then the stock auto trans, high converters suck to drive regularly, if you can drive stick you will beat and auto with the same flywheel hp...upt to a certian amount but you really gotta know how to drive

i wana see and auto do 12.38@112 with a 1.85 60ft with only a lid and catback...no converter
Old 06-07-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28convert
rear ends seem to last longer with autos too. and most everyone who knows about racing will tell you if you have too cars with the exact mods but one auto and the other a manual, the auto will win.
yes the rear will pro last longer, but the reason most people say the second statment is cause they cant drive a stick so obvioulsy they will go faster with a auto. however the stick is much more fun imo for a street car than having to deal with a massive stalled auto tranny, and if you can drive a stick to its limit, its just as effective as a auto at that power level