Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Threw a code after pump install

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Threw a code after pump install

Now I know this is my fault but I need your help. When I changed my fuel pump last weekend I noticed that when we were putting the tank back up that I kinked the hell out of a hose on top of the tank. There was no fluid in the hose and it feels like it is lined with copper. I know that if there is copper in there it is broken. Now today, five days later, it threw this code : P0440 Evap Emission System Fault.

My questions are:

1. Where can I get this replacement hose other than a dealer and what is the name of it?

2. If I let it throw the code again and just keep driving it (because I won't have time to drop the tank again for awhile) will it be okay?

3. Is this even the reason that the code is being thrown or is there something else I need to look at?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2005, 08:35 AM
12 Second Club

1) I'm not sure where other than a dealer...Maybe a junkyard, or even find someone with a wrecked F-bod they've got dismantled they're parting out. Wonder if you could just go to a parts store, get a correct size piece of fuel line, cut out the kink and clamp the fuel line in where the kind is. If you do that, just to be extra safe I'd double clamp each side.

2) I'd think you'd be OK running it. I'm not 100% sure though. I'd definitely take it easy until you find out for sure.

3) I'm pretty sure the kinked line is the reason the code is being thrown. Isn't that the same code that pops up if you don't tighten the gas cap? It's all related to your EVAP/Emissions, so I'm guessing that the kinked line is part of the EVAP so it's not able to do it's job like it should.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I just replaced my tank with all the evap lines ect, let me know what line you need I more than likly have it. Except the prs and return line off of the pump. Note my tank was plastic. 00,01,02.

As for your questions you can clear it and drive it will more than likly come back. The code I believe is due to either to much pressure or not enough pressure in the tank.

Not sure which hose it is but I think there are 2 evap a pressure and return line.

Last edited by 618HAWK; 06-10-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

And thats why we just cut the access panel instead of dropping the tank
Just kidding buddy Probably a dealer only thing. Try to find it at CAPOs wrecking yard, they carry a few fbodies every now and then. They are also right by the dragstrip on broadway.
Jeremy
Old 06-10-2005, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
And thats why we just cut the access panel instead of dropping the tank
Just kidding buddy Probably a dealer only thing. Try to find it at CAPOs wrecking yard, they carry a few fbodies every now and then. They are also right by the dragstrip on broadway.
Jeremy
Tell me about it. I will NEVER drop that damn tank again, unless I have to to change that stupid evap line!
Old 06-10-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The access panel is what I consider to be one of my better "mods" to my car, Gosh I've used that access panel about 20 times for various reasons since I cut it out for my racetronix set up.
J