Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

New paint, what can/can't I do to clean it right now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New paint, what can/can't I do to clean it right now?

I did some damage to my truck a few months ago and it had to go to the body shop. Pretty much the entire drivers side and hood is new paint. They said don't wax for a month but that's it. June 20th will be a month.

What I want to know is if I can do things like claybar, polish, and even wax in another 2 weeks or so. I was planning to go all out and do all these to the truck in the beginning of the summer but then came the accident. I know the new paint probably doesn't a lot of this stuff but I'm not completely sure where they stopped with a lot of it. And I know there is a lot of blending onto old paint with it so I don't want to go jacking all that up.

So come one month is my paint completely cured and ready for me to do whatever to it?
Old 06-12-2005, 09:22 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Yes one month is for paint to fully cure as for the blendied panels they will be fully clearcoated so you can't wax those ether.But you are still safe to wash the truck it's not like the paint is going to fall off.They just don't like wax because it seals up the paint from curing fully.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My body man always said nothing that sealed the paint for a month, but polish was ok...so long as it had nothing that would seal or prohibit the paint from "breathing"...
Old 06-13-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

nothing that contains silicone. most of the cheap meguiars crap contains silicone and will seal your paint and not allow it to fully cure. the only thing i would recommend is all the 3M products, non of the stuff has silicone. i pay $30 for polish but atleast it works better.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know you can use Zaino right after a paint job. Not sure about the other polymers.