Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hearing a popping sound in the subs when interior accessories are used?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 02:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hearing a popping sound in the subs when interior accessories are used?

I finally got my system in, with an Alpine amp and a Hifonics sub amp driving 3 10's. Both amps are grounded to the power antenna bracket. Now whenever you use the power windows or scroll through the "sources" in the head unit (CD, XM, etc.) you can hear a popping sound from the subs. Sometimes it does it when you change CD's too. Does that sound like a bad ground? Or is the sub amp acting weird? It's picking up noise from somewhere I think. Any ideas?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Make sure that your ground and power wires to the sub/amp are not touching any of the other wires. A lot of aftermarket audio equipment recommends you put wire loom around the power/gnd wires. They tend to induce noise to neighboring wires in some situations.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NBM7278
Make sure that your ground and power wires to the sub/amp are not touching any of the other wires. A lot of aftermarket audio equipment recommends you put wire loom around the power/gnd wires. They tend to induce noise to neighboring wires in some situations.

Regular Plastic Loom will not do anything against radiated Noise. True metalic Shielding grounded at both ends will though, but is not neccessary in almost all systems. You would need a High RFI source to induce that kind of noise.

here is a good test using RCA vs CAT 5 for low signal source feed.
http://www.installer.com/tech/cat5.html

Noise induced by RFI means into a Power or ground cable is damn near impossible. It can happen, but would require a HUGH RFI source. Not gonna find that in a car.

Sounds like a bad area to ground to. Try another spot. Turn on bumps are Amps surging thru the system. The ground for the power antenna is only really good for the power ant.. Adding that amp makes it suceptible to noise.

Find a more sutible ground to use.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely a ground. While you are there, ground it under the seatbelt bolt. I think you have to have a torx driver though. It is a good ground.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

More then likely you have a bad ground. Make sure you scratch to bare metal when grounding your amps.

Richie was right about the plastic loom not sheilding. In my experience I havent had good luck with metal sheilding stuff either.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well as someone else said you most likely have wires touching together someplace. I think you are lucky you haven't blown up a channel on your amp yet because usually that popping is power going straight to the sub through the speaker wire... Your best bet is probably to check all your wiring and re run anything you arent sure about. But whatever you do don't keep using your amp/sub until you find the problem or you are liable to blow them up