Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slow shifting-tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow shifting-tips?

I know a big part of my problem is me but the trans/shifter doesn't want to cooperate either. It doesn't grind going into any gear, it just doesn't want to go into gear quickly. My shifting at the strip the other night was horrific! I just bought my car with 78k on the clock. I'd wager the clutch is oe. The car is pretty much bone stock. Does it help to preload the shifter before shifting? I do this on bikes but I realize the trannys are much different. Could the stock shifter could part of my problem? Do most people use the clutch to shift when wide open? Is it necessary? Again, on bikes I rarely use the clutch even at wot. I don't want to tear my tranny up but I have no problem going into it either to replace synchros if need be. I haven't driven another standard trans f-body to compare shifting action. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple things. Sounds liek your T/A is fairly stock. AS far as helping shifting., I woul dinvest in a new shifter combo. A good and fairly popular on is getting a pro5.0 shifter with a lous short stick or any short stick anf throw in a leather wraped SLp ****. That will cut down on the length of the throw. The rest is up to your foot and hands. And yes, use the clutch.