Sponsored by:

Cam idleing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam idleing question

All,

Got a question on my idle.. Cam is a 226/234 112 A4 tranny 3500 stall.. When I start the car the RPMS will go up around 900 rpm and then drop to well under 500 and almost die, and then shooot up to 900 again and it repeats the process over and over.. IF I put it in gear sometimes it will die, but after the motor warms up this problem seems to go away?? Any ideas on how to fix this? Is it a tunning issue? I just bought the car and the previous owner said it had an Ed Wright tune...
Old 06-20-2005, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like surging, and that would probably be a tuning issue. I had the same exact thing happen to me. Sometimes still, it will do that, but not often. You can try to let it idle with the AC off for about 2-3 minutes, then turn the AC on and let it idle for the same amount of time. The computer "may" learn to keep the idle. What is your idle set at? 900? I think if the tuner sets it there, a lot of your problems might go away. Just be forewarned though, with a cam like that, you are going to have some driveability issues anyway(surging, bucking, gas fumes). Every car is different though. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

I believe the idle is set at 900.. The battery was disconnected a few day ago could this have caused the pam to have to re-learn the idle?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had it tuned? Did it idle properly before disconnecting the batter? It does do an idle relearn when you have disconnected the battery, but it should be back to normal fairly quick.

Smooth operation is all in the tune. I daily drive a 237/242 and it would only surge at idle when it was COLD outside, while the engine was still very cold and the car was in gear and it would go away or not happen at all after one to two minutes of running. In other words, get it tuned properly (if you havn't) and it should be perfectly fine.