Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Silly clutch bleeding question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Silly clutch bleeding question

Forgive me because I am about to undertake my first clutch install and have spent the past 2 days reading up on methods, troubleshooting, etc to get prepared.

I have a question about bleeding from the slave. Since its so tough in the cramped space to bleed the slave when everything is buttoned up, can you just bleed it when you disconnect it from the transmission and drop the trans? Does it have to be bled with the trans installed (besided bench bleeding)? I'm sure if it was possible people would be doing it since the slave is alot more accessible just hanging there with no trans, just don't know why it wouldn't work.

Apologize if due to my ignorance this would be like asking why can't you change sparkplugs while the car is running...
Old 06-21-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can bleed it with the slave hanging down. The easiest way is to just open the bleed screw and let it gravity bleed.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't pump the peddle with the slave hanging there. With it in the car, take a 1/4" 11mm deep well slide it in the hole on the bleeder, then put the ratchet on the socket and leave it til your done bleeding it. Just keep changing the direction oh and take your hand off the ratchet when someone pushes the peddle down or the fluid will get all over you.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't disconnect it, why do you need to bleed it? For you to need to bleed it you would have to do something to introduce air into the system, like take it apart.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Well at first I wanted to bleed it because the fluid looks pretty dark and old. But now since I went with a Textralia, it is coming with a new slave included in the kit. So I'm going to have to bleed regardless. Can I gravity bleed it first when I attach the new slave just to get fluid to it, and then pedal bleed with the trans installed?
Old 06-23-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that would work fine. The pedal method may not even be necessary after gravity bleeding.

Quick Reply: Silly clutch bleeding question