Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

97 SS Rearend Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 12:42 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 SS Rearend Assembly

Hi
I am looking at complete 97 SS rear end assembly, I want to use some of the parts on my 98 Camaro. It's a 342 posi. I assume it has a Torsen differential and the differential and gears can be installed directly into my rearend? Can anyone confirm it will have the Torsen as apposed to the Auburn? I assume that if it is a 10 bolt then the internal parts are interchangeable?

Also, the rear springs, shocks and swaybars. I assume the springs and swaybar should be 1LE parts? Can anyone confirm this. Also, are these parts interchangeable to my 98 car. Also, what is most likely for the type of shocks it will have?

Thanks JA
Old 06-28-2005, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Arrow

Within the SS pkg: in 96-97 anyways, the better diff was an option, as was suspension upgrades. So the rear/suspension you have may/may not be the same as a 97 z28 or t/a.

Parts will be interchangeable - I actually have a 97ss rear in my car now. The only diff would be 3 or 4 channel abs ( 2 complete seperate lines for rear brakes , or a T on housing)

Former owner of 1 96SS and 2 - 97SS's
'J
Old 06-28-2005, 11:37 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi
Thanks
JA
Old 07-09-2005, 03:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by J 98ta
Within the SS pkg: in 96-97 anyways, the better diff was an option, as was suspension upgrades. So the rear/suspension you have may/may not be the same as a 97 z28 or t/a.

Parts will be interchangeable - I actually have a 97ss rear in my car now. The only diff would be 3 or 4 channel abs ( 2 complete seperate lines for rear brakes , or a T on housing)

Former owner of 1 96SS and 2 - 97SS's
'J
Hmm? Are you saying that the 97SS had the option of a Zexel-Torsen posi? Also, this flies in the face of everything I ever read about the factory equipment on the F-body. I was always told that the 1998 Z/28 or SS came with the Auburn posi, and that the Zexel-Torsen wasn't offered until 1999. Help straighten out my faulty info here please? Got a link to where that info is in print from the General? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Chevy,

I did some double-checking after your post. It's been a while... I have the single page promotoinal cards for the 96ss and 97ss right next to me, and they both state the "Torsen Limited Slip Differential" as an option. Maybe Zexel-Torsen is completely different ? I do not have access to a scanner, or I would put them up for you. My old links are no longer valid. maybe do some searching around http://www.chirpthird.com/ or http://www.camarossoa.org/ for more info. I do not have much knowledge on 98-up models, though.

'J