Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC 3 broke spring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SPEC 3 broke spring?

ok so i found out my clutch didnt weld it's self to the flywheel but a spring did break. would this cause the tranny not to shift into gears while the car is running but allow it to shift in to gears with the car off? also what purpose does that spring have and if there all gone what would the clutch do then?
Old 06-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Launching!

you should be able to shift into gear when car is off, the spring in the disc allow you to "slip" a little when you try to take off from dead stop. assume the disc grab on both flywheel and pressure plate. the spring give you a little play between the outer disc(where the disc making contact to the flywheel and pressure plate) and the center part of the disc(where slide onto the input shaft). when you almost let your peddle out. the disc actually grab and the spring yields so gives you smooth and effordless take off. i think your problem is probably when the spring broke, it got stuck on the pressure plate. so cause your disc spin the same speed as flywheel/ pressure plate. therefore you will not be able to get into gear when the car is running
Old 06-26-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

well it was between the disk and the pressure plate but it wasnt reall lodges in anything it was just laying there. so looks like i have to give spec a call on monday and try to work something out.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Launching!

good luck