Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter Problems..

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Problems..

I did the A4 to M6 swap on my 2001 camaro ss and everything pretty much went very well.

The trans is a Built T56 from Cartek and the clutch is carteks new design as well.

Adjustable Master from Cartek and billet aluminum flywheel.

The Shifter is a Pro 5.0 and cut for lower stance.

This unit was used but bought off my friend and he only had 400 miles on it and about 10 HARD passes on it.

The shifter doesnt want to go over towards reverse. It is a BIIIITCH to get into reverse. All gears are notchy but thats just the way 5.0's are (no pun intended on "notch" and "5.0" lol)

Anyways, the first night I got the car back I put it into reverse which almost dislocated my damned shoulder (grrrrr) and it got stuck! I couldnt come out of gear. I shut the car down.. tried that way.. nothing.. I had to Pop the clutch and pull HARD on the shifter to get it out. It hasnt gotten stuck since but still.. reverse is a bitch.

I know my mechanic said he didnt adjust the shifter. He didnt realize it could be adjusted. I dont KNOW how to adjust it though.

Do you think it is a bent fork?

My friend drove it and he said it was NEVER like that when he had it.

When the shifter is in neutral and you push it over to the 1-2 shift while still being in neutral.. the shifter doesnt "Spring" back to the 3-4 neutral position. It DOES spring back from the 5-6 position to the 3-4 neutral.

My friend thinks it could be hitting the stop bolt but I dont know how to tell.

I have had MANY manuals before but they were muncies. they all shifted awesome but LONG THROWS from the Hurst shifters. I did have a problem hanging the shifter in gear when trying to race and I had to manually un-hinge thel linkage myself which usually got me burnt on the h-pipe (damn it!) but the trans was SHOT.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You prolly do not have power to the reverse solenoid,hence the high effort. Sticking in gear is more likely a clutch not fully releasing. Let it break in properly but be sure it fully releases. The no return to center is the spring load in the shifter being inadequate. It could be that the shifter binds too much. If its a new shifter, give it some break in time. Do yourself a favor and dump the stop bolts.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you.

Can you TUNE OUT the reverse lockout?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No , unpowered there is a high effort to get the reverse gate- like most of the time. Powered the load is reduced-like low/ no speed when you would want reverse. Tuning it out would get you what you have now- full time two-handed reverse shifts.

Quick Reply: Shifter Problems..