Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

guys who paint...had afew easy ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guys who paint...had afew easy ??'s

ok, well i've got this project car (94 ta) i'm working on.... the paint is pretty bad (flaking, faded, imbossed with old stickers), and i'm planning on repainting it. something i've always wanted to try..

so, here are afew ??'s

1.) gun- do i want a gravity feed, or the one with the sump tank on the bottom?

2.) compressor- what size can i get away with? i want one that will keep the gun pressurized, but i dont need overkill

3.) what points do i want for primer? clear? etc..

4.) i'm assuming a 2 stage refers to the basecoat/clearcoat setup?

5.)sanding...do i want to sand the whole car as it is flaking? can i use a liquid paint remover with the sanding to help expedite the process, or will it mess up the fiberglass body work?

6.) ideal temp? i know i want low humidity, but what is the ideal temp to spray at so things dry fast, but not TOO fast?

7.) is one color harder to spray than another? list afew in order of difficulty if you could.

thanks for any help you guys can offer.

matt
Old 07-04-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

I only paint small parts with my gun, not a whole car, so here goes...

1.) I've got a nice DeVilbiss I picked up on ebay. Gravity feed.

2.) I have a 35 gallon compressor, and I need a bigger one. I'd say for your application, at least 100 gallon compressor. You don't want to stop every couple minutes waiting for you compressor to catch up.

3.) I don't understand this one. What do you mean by points?

4.) Yup. A three stage paint will have a pearl or flake additive, etc...

5.) Is it just the clear coat that's flaking? If so, no stripper is needed, just sand down to the color coat. If you strip the paint off completely, with aircraft stripper, you'll need a few more steps before primer. Just sand the clear off and spray your primer.

6.) I'm not sure what the ideal temp is, but there are different hardeners for certain applications.

7.) From what I hear, red is a pain in the *** and black is the easiest.

I'm no pro, so maybe somebody else can chime in with some more info.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry...by points i meant the tip of the gun.. 1.2/1.3/1.4 etc.

also, your running out of air with a 30 gallon? wow...looks like i underestimated my needs there..
Old 07-05-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

use a gravity feed 1.7 gun for the base coat, and a 1.4 for the clear. Sand the car down eithor by hand or you can get a dual action air sander off ebay for 20 bucks, take that over the whole car and do what you cant get with the sander by hand. when i painted my quarter panel my 33 gallon tank worked well, im thinking about taping off some flames here in a month or so, i will see then if my tank is good enough. I think it should be. as for temp. between 50 and 85 i believe is the ideal temp.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, that helped alot
Old 07-05-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Regular

first off you will want to go with a gravity feed hvlp. Seems to turn out the best results with much less overspray. you can get away with a 30 gallon compressor just note that it will be refilling constantly to keep up with your gun. I have a 60 gallon 5hp that kicks on every 5-10 minutes when spraying a car. Not a big deal if you dont get a huge compressor just annoying to hear it running especially if its a oil-less. If you plan on spraying a high build primer before base color I would go with a 2.0 tip. Spraying a high build would be a good idea if you have lots of scratches that dont go away with your da sander. Just make sure you sand your high build down even. Now spraying your average base whether it be a solid or metallic I would just go with a 1.4 tip that way you can use that for clear as well. There really is no ideal temp just as long as its over 40. 70 would be nice but in mid summer thats not really practical in a booth. Just remember the hotter it is the slower the reducer you want so your layers have time to melt into each other. White is actually one of your easiest colors to spray and black is probably the hardest. Black will also show all your body work mistakes if not done correctly.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

1.7+ binks for primer
1.4 sata for base and clear
in my opinion black, white, and even red are fairly simple to spray, the only thing i advice you is to stay away from any color that has hi-pak aluminum tints like pewters,beige and silvers. if its your first time, you dont want to do these because you may get "tiger stripe"on your paint job, and it will show even after you spray the clear. however, i do agree tha black is difficult because it shows all of your mistakes on the body work.