Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

hydraulics question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hydraulics question

My clutch progressed from being mushy with hard shifting to sticking half way to the floor, being unable to shift, and the fluid in the reservoir turning dark and murky. Does it need to be bled or do I need a new slave set up? Please direct me on how to bleed the system or perform the new slave swap. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

I'd bleed all the fluid out with new fluid first. You can do this via the bleeder valve on the transmission. You will need two people to do this right. The bleeder valve is located on the driver's side of the tranny, at about the 10 o'clock position. You probably won't be able to see it, but it's there. You will also need a 1/4" breaker bar to open/close the valve quickly.

It's just like bleeding the brakes, except you are working with a much smaller reservoir, so you have to keep a close eye on the fluid level. Have your buddy pump the clutch pedal a couple times and hold it down, while he has the clutch down, you'll need to crack open the bleeder valve for a second or two, then close it shut and then your buddy can release the clutch pedal. Do not release the clutch pedal until you close the valve or you will get air in the system and be sure to keep the reservoir full of fluid or the same thing will happen. Keep repeating this process until all the old stuff is out. Once you have all new fluid in the system, you can use a Mityvac to take the air out of the system through the hole at the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir.

If your problem persists after this, then you might try a new slave cylinder.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you very much buddy.