Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New install pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New install pics

Here's some pics of my recent install.

http://home.comcast.net/~zx1100e5/

The parts include the alpine spx-177R components up front, mrv-f545 amp, and the swr-1022d sub.

The woofers were a perfect fit for the factory baffles. I used some rtv on the back foam of the baffle for better sealing against the door frame.

I couldn't find a good place to bolt the fuse holder to near the battery. Instead, I made a small jumper (~3-4" long), soldered the batter terminal to it, and ran it by the battery, behind the neg terminal (see pic).

The crossovers got mounted right at the door since they are adjustable, and it would be pointless to hide them, only to have to go back and change settings. The driver door is a bit neater since it was the 2nd to be done, and I had a better idea where I wanted the wires exiting. Excess wire was hidden in the door panel itself. If I trimmed the wire after putting the panel on, there would not be enough slack to reinstall should I ever need to pull the panel off again.

The amp got mounted to the rear wall. I used two pieces of wood, 3 screws each. First piece was ~ 2" x 6" x 14". This was mounted to the part of the rear wall that sticks out. The other piece was ~3/4" x 8" x 10". This was screwed into the first piece, and provided the mounting surface for the amp screws. The original carpeting of the rear wall was sandwiched between the amp and the mounting plate. I don't think it looks too bad. If I had to do it over, I'd mount the amp higher up (especially since there is room), so that I could fully get the rearmost ttop in.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics while the door panels were off. Both doors are completely done in seal and peel though, as is the trunk area.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! Good job. What do you think about the location of the tweeters? Never thought of putting them there, and they look pretty good. Maybe get them pointed more towards you to bring the stage further back, but otherwise nice. I woulda put the x-overs in the panels, just adjusting everything prior to putting the door panels back on. I installed mine under the front seats that were inline and i just ran the rest of the speaker-out cable through the door to the speaker (make sense) that way they are hidden, but still easy to get to if i ever needed further adjustments.

Anyways, you're right, woulda been nicer to have that amp a bit higher to get your tops in, but i think you did a good job. That thing isn't going anywhere, 2 thumbs up man! What head unit are you running?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Launching!

I never considered putting the crossovers under the seats. I wanted easy access to them. I suppose I could have put them someplace in the door panel itself, but then again, access would be limited.

I have been playing with the tweeter positioning. It seems there is too much bias towards the driver side. I now have the balance a 3 or 4 clicks (out of 15 or 16) to the right to move things over more towards the middle. My head is a good foot or so higher than the tweeter, so they're not directly at me.

The HU is a kenwood kdc-MP7028. It's a mid range unit I'd say. For this car it will suffice. For the next car I'm definitely getting something that has more tweakability (time delay, phase adjustments, parametric eq, etc..)
Old 07-07-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Questions I have yes...?

Why did you mount the crossover here? Why didn't you mount it under the dash or somewhere to hide it?

I guess you won't be using the t-top storage now huh?

Over all it looks good.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Launching!

About the crossovers, there are covers that go on them.. Once I'm happy with the tuning of the system, they'll be in place. The door areas are unused anyways, so why not put them there...

About the ttop stowage, agreed At some point I may move the amp higher up. Honestly though, I rarely if ever have the ttops off (less than a few times in the past 8 years). In fact, I would of gotten the car without ttops were it not for the fact that they give you more head room.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree to move the crossovers. it looks unprofessional having them there. and i don't know why in the world you didn't move the amp up further in the first place. you never used your tops much before, but now you definitely won't use them. and that's ashame, since they're such a great feature that comes on very few other cars.

you did do a pretty good job, otherwise. there are a few things about nearly every install that aren't entirely practical. over time you'll probably find an itch to make things look better, sound better, etc. it took me about 8 months from my *first* system to get to a finessed system, with about a 3 week span on every system in between