Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after cam install...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after cam install...

I took my SS to get tuned Saturday and they think my cam was installed off degree. What symptoms would I be experiancing if this were true? Car seems to run great with the only issue being hot start trouble. You have to bump the starter about three times when it's hot in order to get it to fire. When it does not start in this situation it usually has a little backfire or pop out the exhaust pipe. I did use a new LS2 timing chain. Cam is a 226/226 .591 on a 112LSA. Any thoughts...?

Last edited by SSCoulter; 07-11-2005 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSCoulter
I took my SS to get tuned Saturday and they think my cam was installed off degree. What symptoms would I be experiancing if this were true? Car seems to run great with the only issue being hot start trouble. You have to bumb the starter about three times when it's hot in order to get it to fire. When it does not start in this situation it usually has a little backfire or pop out the exhaust pipe. I did use a new LS2 timing chain. Cam is a 226/226 .591 on a 112LSA. Any thoughts...?
If it peaked really early or really late, that would indicate it was installed "off a tooth", but with that much duration and lift, I think you'd have some P/V problems if you got it a tooth off. Do you have a dyno graph that shows the powerband?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gomer
If it peaked really early or really late, that would indicate it was installed "off a tooth", but with that much duration and lift, I think you'd have some P/V problems if you got it a tooth off. Do you have a dyno graph that shows the powerband?
Not yet, I wanted to get the basic tune done first. The dyno is still being installed at the shop I want to use so it will be next week. I can't see how it could be off a tooth. The car runs awesome except for the hot start issue and it has very little valvetrain noise almost as quiet as it was before the cam install. Pulls strong, I have not had it over 5200rpm's since the cam install as I wanted to get it tuned before pushing her.

If it were off a tooth surely I would know it by some distinct sound right?

Here is a short vid of the car on the rack at idle.

Vid
Old 07-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Anyone else have any input on what I should be looking for if in fact the cam was off a tooth?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

In your situation it's probably in your best interest just to pull the front cover to ensure that the cam is lined up properly. I know it's a PITA but it is better safe than sorry.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zracer28
In your situation it's probably in your best interest just to pull the front cover to ensure that the cam is lined up properly. I know it's a PITA but it is better safe than sorry.
I would be glad to do that if I could get some more info on the symptoms I should be looking for. When we did the cam install, three of us looked at the dots after rotating the motor and they were line up. What would I be looking for if it's off a degree? Car pulls strong from idle to 5200rpm's.