Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much lift can stock springs handle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much lift can stock springs handle?

I'm trying to figure out if my brother in law needs to change his springs or not. I'm not sure of the lift of the cam. But it isn't that radical. It is a lunati the engraving on the cam is 221/221 A 116. I looked on Lunati's website and didn't find one that matched exactly. I've advised him that he should replace the springs. I'm guessing that the cam doesn't have anymore lift than .560 lift.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

any cam swap will need a spring change. what's the lift on the cam?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NviouSS
any cam swap will need a spring change. what's the lift on the cam?
I don't know for sure and we didn't do cam doctor on it. Anyway it doesn't matter anymore now. He didn't want to change the springs. I've already installed the cam for him. He was told by several people that he wouldn't need to change the springs. I'm still trying to get him to buy some and I'll put them on for free. I've even told him the car will run better with better springs on it. Oh well thank you confirming my suspisions.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if the cam is bigger than stock he is going to have some issues. If it is anything bigger than the z06 cam he will be buying a new motor the first time he gets on it. Maybe you should tell him that.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 777
Well if the cam is bigger than stock he is going to have some issues. If it is anything bigger than the z06 cam he will be buying a new motor the first time he gets on it. Maybe you should tell him that.
Well I'm pretty sure it is bigger than a LS6 cam. The good news is I've talked him into getting some springs with in a month. The cam used to be in a friends 99vette for a long time with stock springs. We've stepped down on the TA with the cam a few times already but I'll still feel better when he gets the springs.