Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used block for FI has nicks at bottom of cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Used block for FI has nicks at bottom of cylinder

I'm having a motor built for FI. The motor is a 5.3L. It came out of a truck that through a rod. There are nicks where it scared the cylinder but the nicks are way down well below the ring line. The block will be bored out to 5.7L which means sach side of the cylinder has to be bored out 60 thousandths for a total 120 thousandths. My friend thinks most of the nicks will come out but not all the way. He said I have nothing to worry about but these blocks are so cheap and popular that he would find another one anyways. I don't have the money or the time. I'm fine with it as long as it won't weaken the block (it's iron though) or reduce reliability and longevity. Any opinions? Thx.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:48 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id get it to your machine shop of choice and have them mic it.
good luck.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't hurt anything - especially if you are getting it bored where any high material will be removed.

I broke a rod just below the wrist pin years ago (396 Camaro) and it chewed up the bottom of two cylinders pretty good. I just used a die grinder to remove any high material, re-honed the cylinders, installed new rods, pistons, and rings in those two cylinders and put it back together. I sold the car maybe 25k miles later but I had no trouble with it.

Steve