Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accidently knocked out all the epoxy filling in my TB, worth fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default accidently knocked out all the epoxy filling in my TB, worth fixing?

well i went to make the iac hole a little bigger so i can fix my cold starts problems for good and damn the copper tube snagged on the drill bit and broke the epoxy so i took it all out cause i was afraid it might get sucked in the motor now its all out of there. what im wondering if there is enough gain from this to fix it, or if this is just something that i should leave alone becuase i wont beable to tell any difference with or without it.

naturally i went out there to rev the car up before and i am sure it was reving slower, mostly because the airflows are off i would guess since the effective area is a lot different now? dont wanna be losing power now lol
Old 07-18-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Not enough surface area to make a difference IMO. Thunder Racing doesn't think it's worth it either, their TB's aren't filled. Not worth the risk of it getting sucked in the engine.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in using aluminum instead of epoxy? If you're handy with a propane torch, try this... http://www.aluminumrepair.com/
I used it in my TB. Very nice stuff.

Otherwise I'd just hit the tune up to adjust for any irregularities in the idle.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

WOW, very cool!
technical- do you have pics? How did you build it up to fill in the large area? Were you able to port and polish it to match the rest?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

that looks cool, but if there are no gains then i may just leave it
Old 07-19-2005, 06:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok read more on that aluminum repair, pretty cool. so you can use propane? dont have to use acetalyne? how did you do yours? if i ever went back to a filling in there i was going to find my max effective area and drill a hole through it or put a copper pipe in there that was that size. but like i said i have read a lot now about how the gains are from the porting and not really anything with the filling, so i might just save mysefl the time. plus the surface is powdercoated on the outside, dont wanna mess that up
Old 07-19-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

I actually used MAPP which is basically available in the same container as propane. It burns a little hotter, but still uses the same tip as the propane. I have the craftsman torch tip. I think they cost like $40.

Yes I was able to fill in the recessed area and smooth it to the point it looks like the TB was casted that way. I have to admit that I didn't spend enough time to polish it and make it real pretty. I have some pictures that I'll post up in a few minutes....
Old 07-19-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Here's two pictures of the inside of the TB with the aluminum.
Please forgive the ugliness. I need to go back and clean it up a bit. Which you can do since it Al and not "glue."

You'll notice that I re-drilled the IAC and PCV ports at a different angle. This made the inside a smooth transition vs. having the ports face the MAF. It was a bit of a pita since my bits and die grinder didn't fit too well inside the TB to grind that area and kept jumping on me.
Attached Thumbnails accidently knocked out all the epoxy filling in my TB, worth fixing?-tb1-small.jpg   accidently knocked out all the epoxy filling in my TB, worth fixing?-tb2-small.jpg  
Old 07-19-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

damn thats pretty cool, what did you do about it running all the way to the back? im just wondering if its worth fixing, like there is enough to benefit from it. also would heating mess with the powdercoating?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

I ran it into the back just a bit to make sure the whole block couldn't go anywhere just in case I didn't get the proper adhesion. Doesn't matter though, that **** ain't coming off... I also used the Al to fill a hole that I made while porting (got too crazy) which you can't even see from the inside with the repair.

If you have something lined up to re-powdercoat the TB, then give it a try. I would suspect the powdercoat won't stand up to the heat.

I doubt there's much HP difference in filling vs. open. Since you're having idle issues, you might want to leave it.

I ended up with the Al material because my epoxy ran out the back of the TB while it was drying and made a friggin mess. I also needed something to patch the hole I made. The cost/benefit ratio is pretty high, but I like playing with fire.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i may just leave it, just dont wanna go backwards lol
Old 07-19-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

That's OUTSTANDING technical! About how long did that take you?
I've got my stock TB sitting here and i'm bored. I'd like to port, fill, and polish it against the advise of my friends who tell me i'm gonna fu** it up.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wonder why many people don't fill in the recess. I mean it's like a 90* wall taking up 1/4 of the throttlebody! I guess b/c it can cause an unstable idle if you don't have big enough holes for the IAC motor. It's worth it in my opinion.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

well a lot of the good porters do not fill this in anymore becuase they have found it to be worthless, makes sense tht it would work but if they have dynos (which i havent seen) to show no gain then why bother u know? which is why im wondering
Old 07-19-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
well a lot of the good porters do not fill this in anymore becuase they have found it to be worthless, makes sense tht it would work but if they have dynos (which i havent seen) to show no gain then why bother u know? which is why im wondering

Hummm, interesting. Well, mine is there just in case
Old 07-19-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

see before when it was in there itwas just peace of mind that it was there, if it did something i had it so good, but now its gone so im thinking, hmm did i lose a few hp lol
Old 07-19-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Bo did a bunch of dyno testing on a couple of different people's ported throttle bodies and they came up with very little gain being filled in. I used to fill them in and it was a PITA. After he told me about that little test he did, I quit too. The tb I run right now is filled. I'm going to be porting the other two or three throttle bodies and selling them outright on here or ebay eventually and will not be filling them either.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

cool man thanks, bo is who i was thinking about. did he say how much the gain actually was?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

It's funny that this wouldn't be an improvement, but since it's been tested, why waste the time?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

that looks pretty good. and i see your point as well