Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much coolant does my car hold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much coolant does my car hold?

ok im in the middle of a cam swap...im fixin to put my radiator back in and fill it up so i can fire this thing off..on ls1 how to it says to put 1 jug of dex cool in, and then just top the radiator off using water..i got distilled water is this ok? does this method sound ok to use? also how in the hell do you get the cap off the radiator? i twisted it as hard as i could and it still wont come off..so how much water/coolant do i need to put in? thanks!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone
Old 07-19-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah well to get the cap off you push down on it (like child proof medicine bottles) then you turn it. It will only turn a quarter of the way. You let off of it and you repeat to turn the other quarter. You will use about 2 gal. I put a bottle of dexcool in it. Then filled it with about 3/4 gal of distilled water. Then i cranked it up and kept adding as it went down. I used almost all of the gallon of water.

PS: if you don't know how to get the radiator cap off how in God's green earth did you install a cam.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 777
Yeah well to get the cap off you push down on it (like child proof medicine bottles) then you turn it. It will only turn a quarter of the way. You let off of it and you repeat to turn the other quarter. You will use about 2 gal. I put a bottle of dexcool in it. Then filled it with about 3/4 gal of distilled water. Then i cranked it up and kept adding as it went down. I used almost all of the gallon of water.

PS: if you don't know how to get the radiator cap off how in God's green earth did you install a cam.
thanks for the help...lol i know im a dumbass..i only messed with it a couple of minutes, but i woulda finally figured it out..actually the cam install was very easy all toggether, except for the valvesprings, once again, thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Hehe....777 you took the words out of my mouth! Good job Okie, it's the little things that can bite you on the ***. Leave the cap off after you fill the radiator up and while it's running. It'll let some of the air escape and you'll have to keep adding water. Keep an eye on the water temp gauge too. And yes, distilled water is what you want to use. Good luck and report back your progress!

Originally Posted by 777
Old 07-20-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well guys i got the car running..i cant wait to get on it..alot of people say to do a heat cycle for the springs so as hard as it is im gonna wait till tomorrow to romp on it..this thing definanlty needs tuned, but thats coming soon
Old 07-20-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

That's good to hear Okie. Some people say new materials in springs these don't need to be heat cycled but I say what can it hurt. What cam did you install?

Quick Reply: How much coolant does my car hold?