Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune myself??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tune myself??

Well I have needed a tune for about 5 months(I know I know its been way too long.) I saw the wideband sale though the 31st and when I first bought the car I had plans on getting tuning software myself, but I ended up not wanting to pay the money. My first tune was done by TEA in bowling green, KY. Now that TEA is gone the closest place for a reputable tune is about 7 hrs away, and it would cost me around 600 fat ones. Now I have about 1k to spend and considering my financial situation and the fact that I need a tune, I am highly interested. I really want to learn how to do this myself. I have done all my motor/tranny work, and although this is quite different, I am eager to learn. I have some people here in town who may be able to help, but I come here for most of my knowledge. Do you guys think I can pull it off? I am not looking for the best results right away. I know it will take some time to get it just right, but I am willing to be patient. Tell me what you guys think.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how much it would cost with efilive, but for hptuners with wideband support it would be $500 + $150 (enhanced IO) + $200 (wideband) and that's if you already have a laptop. It's expensive but you'll get a better tune doing it yourself and you'll learn a ton. And you can split the cost with someone in your area if you want. And it's more convenient, not just for tuning but for diagnosing problems too. If you catch on quickly to technical stuff and the thought of tuning yourself sparks your interest, I would say go for it.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P Mack
I don't know how much it would cost with efilive, but for hptuners with wideband support it would be $500 + $150 (enhanced IO) + $200 (wideband) and that's if you already have a laptop. It's expensive but you'll get a better tune doing it yourself and you'll learn a ton. And you can split the cost with someone in your area if you want. And it's more convenient, not just for tuning but for diagnosing problems too. If you catch on quickly to technical stuff and the thought of tuning yourself sparks your interest, I would say go for it.
If I do it, I definitely plan on buying HP tuners. I have heard nothing but good things about the software. Also from what I read the wideband that is on sale (265 I believe) can plug up directly to HP tuners as the narrow band, which makes it that much more desirable.

As far as liking tech stuff, I am currently majoring in Mech. Engineering. I'm pretty sure I will like this too
Old 07-22-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, I was an aeronautical engineering/jet engine design major and I love this stuff. I'm guessing you will too.