Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint chip : Black 2003 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint chip : Black 2003 Z06

I just purchased a black 2003 z06 there are a couple minor spot scratches on the paint no biggie there. On the right rear quarter panel there is a paint chip however. It's down to the fiberglass though not into it from what I can tell. What do you guys recomend doing? Does the entire panel need to be repainted or can a body shop fix that? Thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've fixed a lot of chip's just like what you have on my other cars. This will also work a lot better then a repaint if its just a couple chips (this works for scratches too). I don't recommend you doing this on your Z06 unless you have experiance with this stuff.

But basically you go out and get some touch-up paint that is the same color as your car. Clean the surface very well. Apply the paint in multiple layers over the chip until it sits higher then the rest of your paint. Then you would wet sand your car (2000 grit) till the paint it all level again and you can barely see the chip. Then use a buffer to apply compound and polish. Then voila, no more chip.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! I don't have any expreience doing that sort of thing myself, but this will definitely be something to inquire about when I see my body guy. I had the guns but no ammo if he just flat out says redo the panel. Now I at least have something else to suggest!

Thanks, I appreciate it