Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

One brake light filament not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One brake light filament not working

When my lights are off and you hit the brakes, everything is fine. If you have the lights on, everything is fine. However, if you have the lights on and hit the brakes, one of my left brake lights cuts off. It will do the dim setting, but when it's time for it to get bright it just cuts off. I'm using an 1157 in it, and it's not the bulb, because it works fine on the other side. I'm guessing it's some kind of short or bad wire or something. How should I go about trying to fix this?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

What kind of car? LS1 F-bodies use 3157 bulbs (push in wedge) for taillights. The 1157 is a dual filament indexed bayonet (push and turn) bulb.

The most common cause of this problem is a bad ground at the offending socket. When only one filament is lit (brakes OR tail lights), it grounds through the other filament. But when both are applied (brakes AND tail lights) there is no path to ground so they don't light.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
What kind of car? LS1 F-bodies use 3157 bulbs (push in wedge) for taillights. The 1157 is a dual filament indexed bayonet (push and turn) bulb.

The most common cause of this problem is a bad ground at the offending socket. When only one filament is lit (brakes OR tail lights), it grounds through the other filament. But when both are applied (brakes AND tail lights) there is no path to ground so they don't light.
94' LT1 TA. Using 1157 in it. So would I need a new socket or maybe try cleaning it?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Well, the sockets ground through a separate wire because they are mounted in the plastic tail light housing. Check that the black wire at the socket isn't broken or corroded. Use a test light to confirm that you get a complete circuit between one of pins in the bottom of the socket and the metal casing. If there isn't a good ground it will be much easier to just add one rather than try to trace down the problem.