Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cleaning spraypaint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cleaning spraypaint?

I know this is stupid but how do you guys recommend removing overspray from the dashboard and leather seats? Sorry but my little brother left my car door open while he was painting something so now I have little silver spots on my seats and dash.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:42 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Test in an inconspicuous spot first, but you could try bug and tar remover on the dash. I've never had to remove overspray from my interior before, so I don't know if that'll work anyway.

So isn't there overspray on the outside of the car too?

I'd make you little brother get out there and help you clean it up
Old 07-30-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O man you have no idea how bad I wanted to kill him!!! As for the outside I guess he noticed that so he kept it clean while he painted. I guess for being a 15 year old he is smart enough to keep the outside clean but not the inside. And believe me he will be helping me clean it!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that's a tuffy Like said above what ever you use, test it somewhere out of site first. Make sure you put a good protectant on it too. .......Oh yea and try not to leave any marks on little brother
Old 07-30-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd try warm water and dish soap with a little scrubby sponge first. If you regularly use protectant (Armor All, et al.) on your dash, I doubt the paint has bonded to the plastic. As for the leather, same thing. Plus, being that the leather is pliable (and paint is not) I'll bet it will wash away.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

I had to clean silver paint off of a brand new 2005 Dodge Ram's dash. Guys in the paint shop have never heard of tape. Anyway, we tried everything, but the only thing that took it off was lacquor thinner. And it did take the color off the dash with it. Had to have a lady come in who paints interiors come and match that spot up.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Figure anything out? Let me know what works....I actually have a spot on my leather that looks like paint. It's barely the size of a Rice Krispy and on the rear seat in an inconspicuous area, but it bothers me everytime I condition the seats nonetheless. I'm not sure it's paint, but it's bright yellow so I dunno WTF else it could be. I'm really reluctant to hit it with paint thinner though, fearing it would either leave a stain or spread the mark.