Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

radio control steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio control steering wheel

im am swapping a 99 steering wheel over to a 2000+ with radio controls, do i need a new head unit to make the controls work? do i need any other parts to get it to work?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

nope, but i did this on my friends camaro. Its pretty diffcult if you havent done it before becasue you have to take your entire stearing column out of the car to pass the steering wheel control wire all the way through( this will be the new SIR coil.

You will need this part, its called the "SIR coil" this coli has the wire for the airbags AND the radio controls( yours right now ONLY have the coil for the air bags) but once you take the steering wheel off your car, you will be looking @ it...

If your good w/ electronics i say do it, but if your not sure, then dont bother b/c you might screw something up.

Also if you do go through with it, then go to the camaro technitions and ask then to print out a 2000+ camaro steering wheel schmatics, that will belp you with the 4 wires.

Good luck bro!
Old 07-31-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

honeslty, not trying to bash or anything like that, why do you want the controls on the steering wheel? I have it on my Camaro with a aftermarket head unit and it dont work no more, its to much hassle/expense to have it control by the steering wheel. Instead my head unit has the little remote that comes with it, way better than the steering wheel option, not only is it easier, but when you get the subs in there and all that stuff (like I have mine) you can get outside of the car and just the volume up from away with the remote like it do, it beats having to get in to turn the volume up, that and honestly the car is small enought that everything is within arms length. If i was you, i'd spend that hard earned money on the door speakers, along with the others in the back. WAY better difference over stock. you'll appriciate taht more than the wheel thing. I'm just looking around for a steering wheel right now that will replace mine, its to bulky for my task (coming from 2nd gen camaro along with 65 impala and 65 C10 ) anyone here have any recommendations?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
honeslty, not trying to bash or anything like that, why do you want the controls on the steering wheel? I have it on my Camaro with a aftermarket head unit and it dont work no more, its to much hassle/expense to have it control by the steering wheel. Instead my head unit has the little remote that comes with it, way better than the steering wheel option, not only is it easier, but when you get the subs in there and all that stuff (like I have mine) you can get outside of the car and just the volume up from away with the remote like it do, it beats having to get in to turn the volume up, that and honestly the car is small enought that everything is within arms length. If i was you, i'd spend that hard earned money on the door speakers, along with the others in the back. WAY better difference over stock. you'll appriciate taht more than the wheel thing. I'm just looking around for a steering wheel right now that will replace mine, its to bulky for my task (coming from 2nd gen camaro along with 65 impala and 65 C10 ) anyone here have any recommendations?
Picking up a remote isn't as easy as pushing a button your hands are near already. I LOVE my wheel controls, I use them to control my iPod as well.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

im more interested in speed. i gave up sound when i got a 13 sec. stock car. subs mean more weight and less money towards getting into the 12's. speed is addictive.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z28convert
im more interested in speed. i gave up sound when i got a 13 sec. stock car. subs mean more weight and less money towards getting into the 12's. speed is addictive.
Yeah but you get extra flar points when you roll up run a 12 and do it while thumping down the strip/streeet

But owell, i just like being flashy and functual at the same time.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

I use mine all the time. I probably wouldn't bother to change the steering wheel just to get them, but more power to you.

BTW: For some reason, by the title of this thread, I was expecting something about making your whole car remote controlled. Don't know why, but I have seen it done. Maybe to press a button on your watch and have it drive up and say "Hey Michael...how do you like my turbo boost button." Then I noticed your name (z28...), so I guess you're not going to be putting red lights on the car's nose anytime soon either.