Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird white residue from A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Weird white residue from A/C

Guys,

Here in Houston, it is sickly hot. I know this is affecting my performance, but do you think it might affect my A/C? When I drive around with the A/C on and arrive at my house, or anyplace for that matter and the A/C dumps the condensed water, once dried up it leaves a white residue, like seriously white, almost like chalk. I know that when water dries up it leaves a residue, but nothing to this extent. Has anybody ever had this problem, or heard of it? It has to be coming from the A/C, nothing else leaks in my car. Any suggestions, opinions or what not are welcome.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Well you are right in once aspect it is either calcium or salt residue or a combination of the two. Being close enough to the bay it can be a salt residue mixed in with the humidity that is condensed out of the air. Don't shoot at me but, if you run it on max a/c it will recirculate the air in the car and cut down on the sticky outside air that the evaporator has to knock the humidity out of.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm, I appreciate your input, i still dont know what causes it, looks like I'm gonna have to try running it with reg a/c and max a/c, see if that makes a difference.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Well you are right in once aspect it is either calcium or salt residue or a combination of the two. Being close enough to the bay it can be a salt residue mixed in with the humidity that is condensed out of the air.
I agree 100%....... Seen it many times on cars that live near salt water or in high dew point areas.

Whats most important is that the A/C condensate drains freely. Don't matter what color it is.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The only thing going from max to outside air will affect is the comfort level of the vehicle and the amount of humidity condensed out of the air. The a/c has to work a lot less on max bc it is not pulling a 110+ degree air from the cowl behind the hood and then cool it as it goes through the evaporator. It will get colder and sweat less on a trip of 30 minutes or more on max. Around town you will usually be hard pressed to tell the difference except for the humidity level in the cabin.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:36 AM
TECH Junkie

As long as A/C isn't someone's initials, the above assessments are adequate.

Quick Reply: Weird white residue from A/C