Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! What the hell is this sound? (video clip)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help! What the hell is this sound? (video clip)

http://fear.net/~dope/camaro/broken/weird_sound.avi (2.5 megs, Divx codec required).

Backround story - the car has been down for about 2-3 weeks for work. As for the accessories, I just replaced the power steering pump and added an external cooler. The sound I am referring to is the rapid hollow grinding sound heard mainly at idle and low rpms - after that you can't hear it (as you can tell in the video). It's louder underneath the car. It's not super loud but you can definitely hear it with the car on the ground and the hood closed.

By accident I noticed that the sound clicks 'off' when I turn on the AC. And the AC works fine too. I didn't touch anything even remotely in that area though. I only took the main belt off of the power steering pump while I worked on it, that's it.

Sound wasn't there before I started this work. I did nothing else in the area except for radiator hose changes. Think coolant got on the AC or something maybe?

I can't see anything physically hitting, and like I said, the sound completely goes away when I turn on the AC.

Things to look for/try?

Dope

Last edited by Dope; 08-04-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

linky no worky
Old 08-04-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doh.

Now it does.

Dope
Old 08-04-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

a/c compressor, when you turn it on the clutches are engaged and their is a load on the pullys, thats the same thing on mine, sept it wont do it until i turn the air on then off, then it squeks like that but alil higher pitch.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the sound of a dry bearing or something hitting/scraping. If it stops with the A/C on it would seem to point to the A/C bearing but that would be really odd if it wasn't doing it before. Check all the pulleys and bearing closely.