Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 weeks after headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 weeks after headers

about 2 weeks and 175 miles after the header and ORY, when i drive the car in OD it kinda bogs and doesnt really accelerate right. I have no codes so all the electronics should be right? When i put it on D (no OD) it seems to run alot smoother and accerlate better but it still bogs and surges a little bit.

What can I do to get rid of this and whats causing it?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

you might need a tune... Or it might be an O2
Old 08-09-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
you might need a tune... Or it might be an O2
But if its a bad 02 wouldnt throw a code? And theres no way for me to get a tune b/c nobody in north florida or south florida tunes. Would a mail order tune fix this?

I have 2 extra o2 sensors from when we removed the cats, 4 came off the car and i put two back on, but it didnt throw a code so how do I know which one is no good?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Noone tunes at all? With all the people in florida that have modded cars there has to be tuners out there...

I'm sure you could get a mail order tune but I don't know how well they work. I've never looked into them. TSP does mail order tunes, they are sponsors too >>>

I didn't see that it wasn't throwing codes. I would think if it were an O2 then a code would be thrown
Old 08-09-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Norris Motorsports
1010 Bunnell Road, Suite 1100
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
Local phone: (407) 869-RACE
http://www.norris-motorsports.com/
Old 08-09-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

I live in ft lauderdale 10 miles north of miami
and tallahassee 500 miles north of ft lauderdale

I dont think with my mods its worth spending 500 dollars for a dynotune. And yeah 01 I have zero codes, its just running boggy in spots and mostly in OD and it only just started when today. Its been pretty much fine that past week and half 2 week.

Im actually going to be in orlando wednesday nite but im leaving early thursday morning.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

So no one knows?
Old 08-09-2005, 03:59 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Well I'll throw out a couple a things.
Are you running AIR? If so you might look at the check valves.
Getting any ticking noises from the headers? If so you might want to retorque the headers. Also were your old O2 sensors reused, if so were the threads coated w/anti sieze?
EGR (if you are running it) connections good, Oring, etc, or any other place where some unmetered air might get in?
That's it off the top of my head. Would help if you could drive the car while logging data w/a scanner.
Good luck,
Gerald
Old 08-09-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
So no one knows?
well it could be anything.

I'm afraid your gonna have to do a little more to help yourself here.

Evidently there is something wrong, which is likely all though not defiante to be a result of the headers. There car can still run bad without throwing a code, getting it checked out is pretty much the only way. And a tune or removal of the headers may be the only fix.

Also FL is quite a big place I can't believe no one has a rolling road, thats like saying burgur king doesn't sell chips! (or fries for American correction, lol)

Edit: Looking at your sig I'd say you def have enough mods to throw the PCM out of wack, GET a tune it will not only make the car run right but will make use of the mods, at the moment they are more cosmetic than perforamce.

Why will people spend all this money on parts then wimp out of a tune???? Tuning is the MOST important mod ALWAYS!
Old 08-09-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

With your mods, you need a dynotune. The PCM is chasing the better flowing induction and exhaust systems and can't find the sweet spot. Spend the $$ and get it right. Norris Motorsports should treat you right.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
With your mods, you need a dynotune. The PCM is chasing the better flowing induction and exhaust systems and can't find the sweet spot. Spend the $$ and get it right. Norris Motorsports should treat you right.

Iv never even heard of them, which cant really be a good thing. Are they a sponsor here? Anyone ever use them?

Im making a 500 mile trip home 2morro so the car better not die. Im gonna take it to meineke when I get home and have them look at it, wont cost me anyting and at least I get an idea of whats going wrong.

Maybe on the way on up to school ill leave a day early and get a tune. Has anyone ever gotten a dyno tune from them and how much did it cost?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Iv never even heard of them, which cant really be a good thing. Are they a sponsor here? Anyone ever use them?
How many people live in FL??

I would guess quite a lot, infact FL is about the same size as the UK and I don't even know every tuner in a 30 mile radius let alone across the country
Old 08-09-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

I would guess quite a lot, infact FL is about the same size as the UK and I don't even know every tuner in a 30 mile radius let alone across the country

Im not sure, but im sure its alot, especially where i live in ft lauderdale, booming real estate.

But it looks like if it continues to drive like ******* im gonna have to find out if this guy tunes, i emailed him so well see if he responds.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

and i just took the car out now a couple hours later and wound it up 0-70 4x and no bogging...? It was only bogging that one trip i made and never any other times.

Maybe it was just that one time, none the less im gonna look into a tune, mebbe my dad and i will split it 225 a piece.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:51 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

There are no "professional" tuners in North FL that I know of. A recent post in the FL section of this board looking for someone in the Gainesville area netted one response from an individual with tuning capabilites, and he wasn't really close to me.
Norris in Orlando and Rev Extreme in Brandon are basically the only ones I ever hear about. I'm sure there's more, but...
Old 08-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Im making a 500 mile trip home 2morro so the car better not die. Im gonna take it to meineke when I get home and have them look at it, wont cost me anyting and at least I get an idea of whats going wrong.

Maybe on the way on up to school ill leave a day early and get a tune. Has anyone ever gotten a dyno tune from them and how much did it cost?
Hey man quit being such a wuss, I really doubt anyone on this board will guide you in the wrong direction! You asked for help and we are giving it to you. Go get the tune and i promise you you'll notice a difference.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Jax fl

www.dynotune.com

they do just about everyones work in the local f-body club, and tons of other muscle cars. Ask for Dave.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FloridaZ
Jax fl

www.dynotune.com

they do just about everyones work in the local f-body club, and tons of other muscle cars. Ask for Dave.

How much do they charge, and do they offer hp tuners/ls1 edit?
Old 08-13-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Just wanted to update this thread. It was a combination of two things

1. the spark plugs were not all the way on plugs 3 5 and 8
2. i got it dyno tuned

both these things fixed all the above

i put down 338/344 sae corrected