Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throatier Sound Please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Throatier Sound Please...

I recently installed a LM2 exaust kit. I love it, but i do have one request... I want it to be slightly more throaty. I just ordered an SLP air lid and i made my own smooth bellow for when it comes, will that be enough to make it sound throatier?

Should i change the lm2 muffler to a lm1 muffler... should i change it to anything else.

I would prefer to not put headers on just yet...
Old 08-10-2005, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

that seems to be common complaint w/ LS1's. I cant fricken decide on an exhaust system because to me, nothing sounds very good. Everything just sounds either too raspy or too "muffled". I get pissed every time I hear my buddy's 5.0 drive off because his Mustang sounds better than my camaro ever will......but I do kick his *** every time we race!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got corsa and i like the sound. no rasp at all, but it not muffled either
Old 08-10-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah i like my corsa too
Old 08-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

i had a bassani catback on mine, before i went to the bassani true dual kit, both sound great... the catback sounded VERY good, no rasp or anything... all of the other ls1 owners i hung out with also said it sounded very good. i have it if your interested just send me a PM

from what i've heard, from what people say and with my own ears, the loudmouth is good if you just want a loud *** exhaust without headers... if your going to put headers on, then its EXTREMELY loud, and this is when most people sell it and buy a different exhaust
Old 08-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Wink True Dual Exhaust System

Why don't you guys install a true dual system on your cars with both pipes going over the rear axle and exiting out the rear from beneath the bumper in the stock locations and do away with that stupid "Y" pipe all togeather? With true duals, you will get that deep, throaty sound that you want. You will also pick up a bit of horsepower and torque and no raspyness. Just that sweet, deep muscle car sound!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

If you want your car to sound like a mustang, you might as well sell your car and get a stang! The LS1 are a different engine and will not sound throaty!!! Your best bet is true duals with moroso spirals or sweet thunders, sound pritty close to that throaty sound you are looking for, but not quite.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WutupYo
the loudmouth is good if you just want a loud *** exhaust without headers... if your going to put headers on, then its EXTREMELY loud, and this is when most people sell it and buy a different exhaust
Exactly right, only I had to cut mine out so i just chunked it.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

As stated above, true dual exhaust is your best bet. Mine sounds very "throaty". Eveyone says it sounds nothing like an LS1. If your gonna keep your LM, a sweet thunder muffler in place of the resonator may give you the muscle car sound your after.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

GMMG will sound nice and throaty. So will true duals, either dumped or run out the back. I've heard that Magnaflow sounds good too. Loudmouth sounds great stock, if you want it throatier you'll want to run GMMG. I know...I've run both(on different cars tho).
Old 08-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Is the Borla system a good system to get for a deep muscle car tone or is it as rapsy as ive been hearin
Old 08-11-2005, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duals.

Save up and get longtube headers and true duals dumped at the rear axle.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Duals.

Save up and get longtube headers and true duals dumped at the rear axle.

i would never get it unless it was over the axles...too much interior noise for me. but it does sound nice outside the car
Old 08-11-2005, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2K WS6
I recently installed a LM2 exaust kit. I love it, but i do have one request... I want it to be slightly more throaty. I just ordered an SLP air lid and i made my own smooth bellow for when it comes, will that be enough to make it sound throatier?

Should i change the lm2 muffler to a lm1 muffler... should i change it to anything else.

I would prefer to not put headers on just yet...

I thought about buying a LM exhaust aslo, but it was so loud. One thing I planned on doing was putting a borla xr1 muffler in the ipipe or a dynomaxx bullet. You can check out the website www.ls1sounds.com to hear the differnce. (Dynomouth/ Borlamouth) Its a great website. I came across a good deal on a boral catback and love the way it sounds. I have carsound cats on my car so I really don't hear the rasp as much. I like the way sounds. I'll make a sound file to put on that site.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

I have been to ls1sounds.com countless times before... however i cannot spend the money to get true duels or swap out for GMMG. The sweet thunder idea sounds pretty good, if it works. Does anyone know what the sweet thunder muffler sounds like with a LM exaust setup? i dont think there is a clip on ls1sounds.com. also what size muffler (length/width) should i get to make an easy swap? What material should i get... stainless steel or aluminuminized steel?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Stock manifolds - just get a cutout and leave it open

LT's - true duals all the way!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by King James
Stock manifolds - just get a cutout and leave it open

LT's - true duals all the way!

HATED MY HOOKER CATBACK SOUND!!!! It was so damn quiet and not throaty. Installed JEG'S 3'' Cutout and it sounds freakin AWESOME. No rasp and I couldn't be happier. My friend with a 500rwhp Cobra dumping his X pipe says he wishes his car sounded like mine
Old 08-11-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 35thZ-28
that seems to be common complaint w/ LS1's. I cant fricken decide on an exhaust system because to me, nothing sounds very good. Everything just sounds either too raspy or too "muffled". I get pissed every time I hear my buddy's 5.0 drive off because his Mustang sounds better than my camaro ever will......but I do kick his *** every time we race!
Run lt's 2.5" orx to 1 chamber flows and turn downs, best ls1 exhaust beats the crap out of all the other systems
Old 08-11-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah my duals with flo-pro twisters sound very ol school muscle. Incredibly deep, infact its often a lower pitch than my sub. Just keep in mind, that with duals you get better sound AND more volume! so, that should be taken into consideration!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

will the sweet thunder do the job? if so which one do i get to replace my muffler?

Quick Reply: Throatier Sound Please...