Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

installed H/U, have questions though...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default installed H/U, have questions though...

I just installed a new JVC head unit in my T/A, originally equipped with the Monsoon system. There are two plugs in the back, one that I connected that looks like 4 flat plugs together, and one square one that isn't being used anymore...is this important? Also on the main plug, there are two orange wires, a straight orange and a white/orange one. I connected the white orange one but not the solid orange...is THAT important? I really dont remember these problems with my 95... sigh
Old 08-13-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

TTT - anyone know about this?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

TTT - anyone know about this?
Old 08-14-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 flat plugs together? Not sure. The square one not in use in probably for a JVC CD changer. And didn't the headunit come with install instructions? What does it say the orange wires do? Tried looking on JVC's site, but it sucks. Poorly done.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by magius231
I just installed a new JVC head unit in my T/A, originally equipped with the Monsoon system. There are two plugs in the back, one that I connected that looks like 4 flat plugs together, and one square one that isn't being used anymore...is this important? Also on the main plug, there are two orange wires, a straight orange and a white/orange one. I connected the white orange one but not the solid orange...is THAT important? I really dont remember these problems with my 95... sigh
Might be part of the steering wheel volume controls, dunno if your car had that. If everything is working, don't worry about it!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

the orange wires , thoes are illumination wires, i dont think i hooked them up in my car when i changed the h/u out. Like if you dim your dash light or your lights in your car then the lights coming from the head unit will also dim with it. I hooked it up in my past vechicles and it never did work.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Teching In

the orange wires are imlumination and sould not be hook up. Just cap them off so they dont grount out. I have seen too many problems when these orange wires are hooked up so just dont. The 4 flat plugs together is the main harness and the other is for a factory installed disc changer if you monsoon was originally equiped, it is of no consern.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

On most aftermarket headunits, the orange wire that shows a full 12+volts when the lights are on is what you hook to your headunit illumination wire.

The reason it will not dim the lights on the headunit with the dash lights, is when you use the other orange/white wire, you could have only 6-9 volts, and the headunit will sometimes dim/undim on and off, or it just won't dim period. The headunit is looking for a 12+volt signal and IT will dim the headunit lights itself. Hope that makes sense.