Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i think my O2 sensors are rattling/buzzing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think my O2 sensors are rattling/buzzing.

i've been hearing this rattling/buzzing sound from under the car for a while. At first I thought it was the transmission, but after trying to pinpoint where the noise was coming from, I figured out it was related to the exhaust. when the downpipe vibrates is when the buzzing sound occurs, and the o2 sensors are the only things that seem kinda "loose". Can I just buy new ones and replace them myself without having the ses light come on?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:05 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if you need to buy new sensors if you're not already getting an SES light. I noticed a buzzing sound coming from my rear O2 sensors (before I got sims) and it was a shiny silver cap that is located right where the wire enters the sensor. The thing was loose as hell. So that might be the source of your noise.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know what it is, i just fixed mine yesterday. it is the little crossmember that goes across right where the 2 pipes on the y-pipe meet. it touches the exhaust pipe itself and causes a vibration when reached a certain resonant frequency. check this out while the car is on a jack or a ramp. what i did was i banged at the exhaust pipe with my fist, while the car was cold of course, and i listened for that rattling noise and then applyed pressure to any part i felt was vibrating and then narrowed it down to that crossmember. i then removed the crossmember and banged at any part i felt would come close to touching the y-pipe and i started the car today and nothing. i was as happy as a pig in crap. i hope that helps

Quick Reply: i think my O2 sensors are rattling/buzzing.