Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions or no?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Emissions or no?

I am about to purchase the QTP long tube headers. Should I buy the race and have the AIR and EGR taken off, or keep them on with the emissions set?

I am not as concerned with the AIR as I am with the EGR. Will I lose any gas mileage?

All codes will be tuned out as well.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have an emmision test in your area? If not I vote get rid of it. It cleans up the engine bay big time.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:35 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

If emissions is not a cercern which it looks like, then go with the race style. Once you delete egr and air your gas mileage should not change. I have read that some people have gained mileage and some have lost. So dont worry about it. If you have any type of visual when you get tested then you need to keep egr and air on the car. You can always get a couple block off plates as well if you decide that you want to get rid of air and egr in the future (if you go with the emissions style headers).
Old 08-17-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

I don't believe there is a visual in my area. AZ. If I choose to get emissions, then block off the plates, will it be very visible inside the engine bay. I am concerned about leaks and looks as well.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
I don't believe there is a visual in my area. AZ. If I choose to get emissions, then block off the plates, will it be very visible inside the engine bay. I am concerned about leaks and looks as well.
If you have some extra $$ get a ls6 intake with the exhaust then there will be nothing to block off, If you go the off road rought. Also get stainless band clamps for the exhaust, don't use the "U" type clamps.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

I still need to keep the car streetable. I am planning on an intake later, as the system will take up most my funds for now. I am planning on running CATS as well to ensure emissions qualification, and to help with rasp.