Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my tranny cooler hose ruptured causing all trans fluid to be lost

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think my tranny cooler hose ruptured causing all trans fluid to be lost

First off

Here's what happened. I went to the parts store for a fuse for my boat. I cruised out of there and was waiting to turn onto a road, well I saw my opportunity, let off the brake, hit the gas and nothing doing. Put it in reverse, coasted back and that's when I saw the trail of fluid I left and the big puddle where I was sitting trying to pull out on the road. The leak was coming from the front near the radiator and my tranny cooler so I'm pretty sure a hose ruptured causing the complete loss of fluid.

My tranny temp gage was only at 170 or so at the time so it wasn't too hot so I'm hoping that there was no damage done. I drove maybe 50 ft. leaving a decent trail of fluid, maybe 3/4" to 1" wide and then a giant puddle and that's it. I got it towed home but haven't been able to check it out yet.

I was just wondering if anyone thinks I might have done any damage.

I'm suspecting the reason the hose broke is that since my H/C swap when I put the car into gear I have to have it revved up to maybe 1500 RPM and then get it into gear so it doesn't stall out on me (still working on tuning, only the 2nd time it's seen any speed above 10 mph). I'm thinking that doing this has made the line pressure increase a lot in a short amount of time so maybe that's why the hose ruptured. Does that sound possible?

Thanks guys.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be fine....just keep an eye on the fluid to get it to the right level when you refill
Old 08-18-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think revving it to 1500 with an aftermarket stall is the source of your problems although I don't like the idea.

That cam should idle like stock by 1200 rpm even w/o tuning. If you have leaned the car out say by 30/20/10% at 400/800/1200 rpm and raised your idle to 950/900 (park/in gear) you should have the car run w/o stalling. It may not be perfect and probably needs to be refined from there but then you are not slamming the tranny. If you have done this and the car is running so bad that it needs 1500 rpm idle then your cam is not installed correctly.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had that happen to me before but the hose didnt rupture. The rubber lines slipped off the metal lines. I put it back on, & put an extra clamp on each line & havent had that problem again.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
I don't think revving it to 1500 with an aftermarket stall is the source of your problems although I don't like the idea.

That cam should idle like stock by 1200 rpm even w/o tuning. If you have leaned the car out say by 30/20/10% at 400/800/1200 rpm and raised your idle to 950/900 (park/in gear) you should have the car run w/o stalling. It may not be perfect and probably needs to be refined from there but then you are not slamming the tranny. If you have done this and the car is running so bad that it needs 1500 rpm idle then your cam is not installed correctly.
I've reduced the tables by 60, 80, 90% and raised my hot idle to 950 but it still dies on me. It has idled by itself a few times, actually 2 but only for a couple minutes. When I'm scanning, I need the throttle at 3% to maintain idle and it holds around 850-950 and runs perfect. I haven't messed with the TB set screw yet though.

Cablebandit is coming over to help me out with the idle today so hopefully it'll be straightened out. Now that I think about it, I'm probably only revving to 1000-1200 to hold idle good when slipping into gear. I know my stock tach is off some.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Had that happen to me before but the hose didnt rupture. The rubber lines slipped off the metal lines. I put it back on, & put an extra clamp on each line & havent had that problem again.
The same thing happened to me this year, throwing it into reverse. Lost about 7-8 qts.

Your car should be fine, just replace the hose and fill it back up.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

Well, got everything back together last night. A hose just blew off of the cooler itself. I put a new clamp on and the thing took 7.5 quarts of fluid to get it filled up. Took it out for a little cruise last night and the temps didn't go over 160-170 and it shifted nice and smooth into and out of every gear.

Thanks for the help guys.